Cannot secure ispconfig panel access with letsencrypt

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by Galopete, Oct 17, 2021.

1. Galopete

Galopete Member

Hello to all.
    My system is clean install of ubuntu server 20.04 following the perfect server guide of Howtoforge, with the last stable version of ISPConfig control panel.
    I try to secure the control panel access with letsencrypt certificate but the only way to obtain a secure access with LE certificate is to modify 000-ispconfig.vhost and add the path to LE certificates in my domain (airmonkey.es) wich was created using the option in site web domain in the control panel.
    I was try to use ispconfig-update.sh --force command, telling "yes" to the question "create new LE certificate for Ispconfig?, but i have an error from certbot that tells "no A/AAAA record for "am*****" wich is the name of my server, so i have to modify mi hosts file adding the name am******.airmonkey.es to the 127.0.1.1 and i was add a DNS A "am*****" airmonkey.es zone record in my domain name provider control panel. When i try to redo the ispconfig-update.sh --force seems to LE certbot works and create the certificate, but finally a cannot acces the ispconfig control panel with a valid certificate but yes with selfsigned one. Then i was modify by hand the 000-ispconfig.vhost adding the path to LE certificates created with the ispconfig update command.
    Actually i can access to the control panel using https://am*****.airmonkey.es:8080 using a LE certificate, but if i write https://am*****.airmonkey.es without 8080 i have my web from airmonkey.es with selfsigned certificate.
    Is the correct way that i was used to configure the LE to Ispconfig control panel?, if yes, how can i redirect am*****.airmonkey.es to am*****.airmonkey.es:8080 to access the ispconfig control panel?
    Many thanks,
    Abraham.

2. ahrasis

ahrasis Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

You need to adjust your ispconfig.vhost accordingly to your web server type (apache2 or nginx) if you do not want to use port 8080 e.g. am*****.airmonkey.es:443 instead of :8080. However, I think leaving it as it is, but create a website that use proxy to am*****.airmonkey.es:8080 is better and should be updateproof.