Cant edit dns dkim public-key

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by babydunk, May 22, 2016.

1. babydunk

babydunk Member

Hello :)

i am trying to get dkim working correctly but i cant seem to edit the blank settings in the dns dkim record. it just displays a no entry sign where the curser should be.

also i followed this tutorial to install opendkim https://scaron.info/blog/debian-mail-spf-dkim.html

2. florian030

florian030 Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

And why don't you install the dkim-patch? This works out-of-the-box. But you must revert your changes.

3. babydunk

babydunk Member

Hello florian030

i actually did try installing dkim-patch but i get this warming

4. florian030

DKIM is integrated in 3.1 - you don`t have to install anything. Just follow oen of the tutorials from howtoforge.com and create the key-pair for a maildomain.

babydunk likes this.
  5. babydunk

babydunk Member

Thanks for the help :) but i am abit lost as to which tutorial to go with. i am on debian . also every tutorial i can see on howtoforge.com all need dkim to be install with theyre tutorials, whether its dkim-filter or dkim-milter.

:)

6. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

babydunk likes this.
  7. florian030

See #2 - ISPConfig 3.1 has full dkim-support. For older versions just use the dkim-patch. There is no need for dkim-filter or milter. The signing is done with amavis.

babydunk likes this.
  8. babydunk

babydunk Member

thanks @till

@florian030
    thats why i was confused, thank you for all your help and for dkim-patch ;)

i will go and have a crack at setting this up now and report back if i have any problems :D

9. babydunk

babydunk Member

hello again lads

im sorry yous have to spoon feed me but i still cant figure out what i need to do.
    i let apt-get choose which apps i was missing. i look through the tutuorial i can see anything else the would apply to my setup

the input area of the DNS DKIM RECORD is still grayed out and cant be editted .

10. till

The dkim record is completely maintained by ispconfig and inserted by ispconfig into the configuration files. The record dont need to be edited and therefore it is not editable.

babydunk likes this.
  11. babydunk

babydunk Member

Then how can i enable dkim ? do i just create a dir in /var/lib/amavis/dkim /var/lib/amavis/dkim/mydomain.tld then create a pair keys ?

Edit: if ispconfig maintains these records and they cant be edited. why is their no record at all?
    i presume since ispconfig maintains these records i dont need to create any keys or do i ?

Last edited: May 23, 2016
  12. babydunk

babydunk Member

Lmao i am a silly billy

i didnt realise that to get private and public keys and to have dkim's setup. i just needed to go into the Email module and select the required domain then domainkeys identifed mail. input a selector and generate keys . then over to dns settings and select dkim from the tabs and save and all was done for me lol

i have spent alot of trying to figure this out. when it had already be done for me :D thank you lol

i done a test with [email protected]25.com
    can you let me if this all looks ok
    Thanks @florian030 @till

Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
    dasky likes this.
  13. florian030

14. babydunk

babydunk Member

:):):);););):p:p:p

im a happy man now everything sorted and working, pass the amavisd-new testkey. well almost everything . i cant have a key larger than 1024 but thats something to work on. when i figure out how to change the tables ;)
    is larger better anyway ??

15. florian030

you can use a key > 1024 if you are running bind as your dns.

babydunk likes this.
  16. till

As an additional note: you can set the dkim key strength that is used for new keys under System > Server config > Mail.

babydunk likes this.
  17. babydunk

babydunk Member

Thanks again guys :D

i got the tables updated and now i can have larger keys :D well chuffed