Cant login to webmail (roundcube)

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by armaclaren, Aug 31, 2018.

1. armaclaren

armaclaren New Member

hey guys,
    I'm hoping this is going to be something simple... I wasnt using the email functions before, so this has never been an issue but on a fresh ISPconfig install, I created a new email address within the ISPconfig server console.
    (example)
    Email address: test at test dot com
    Password : Password
    When I try to login to webmail it says "login failed" ...I just assumed that I typed the password in wrong; but I've made multiple accounts and it just says "login failed".

I am extremely new to ubuntu linux and I was hoping you good folks could point me in the right direction as to what I could check on the server to see what I could change to fix the issue?
    many thanks in advance!

2. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

I don't understand "the ISPconfig server console". Have you created the email address from command line?
    ISPConfig Panel has functionality to create e-mail boxes. First create a e-mail domain, then an e-mail mailbox.
    You say you are using webmail. So Roundcube is installed? Do you get the Roundcube login page?
    Also do these:
    https://www.howtoforge.com/community/threads/please-read-before-posting.58408/

3. armaclaren

armaclaren New Member

hey bud, I'm very glad you replied. you've given me some rock solid advice on a previous issue!

to be honest, its kind of hard to explain the issue without giving a lot more detail.

I purchase the ISPconfig manual and went through setting up a single server step by step on Ubuntu. I even followed this video on youtube setting up email (not a promotion, I'm just trying to give as much detailed as I can): ht tps ://ww w.youtub e.com/watch?v=0PUMN5ZTuZA
    I'm using Ubuntu 16.04 and ISPconfig 3.1

essentially everything appears to be setup correctly and I was able to login to roundcube with the email address I had created. I updated Ubuntu using the "sudo apt-get update -y" command and earlier when I tried to login, it just says "login failed" which I thought was weird.

I erased the account and re-created it. I still get login failed. I created other accounts and still get the same error message. I think I'm probably missing a step or mixed up some information while I was setting this up but I'm going to try the above links you sent me but just wanted to post a little more and say thank you for getting back to me because I honestly had no idea where to start looking to diagnose the issue.
    email error.jpg email error2.jpg

4. Taleman

Try to see what log shows when you log in to Webmail. Open terminal window as root on the server, then
    Code:
    tail -f /var/log/mail.log

Try logging in and see what appears in the terminal window.

5. armaclaren

armaclaren New Member

I get the following messages:
    ------------------------------------
    connect from localhost[127.0.0.1]
    lost connection after connect from localhost[127.0.0.1]

To give you further insite, I'll attach 2 zip files to the post for you. The first one is the htf_report, the original "login failed" error message and a picture of the mail log so you can see what I'm seeing.

The second file is; when I was first starting to play with the ISP installer, the initial setup took me forever to go through... so i created a bash script that basically led me through the setup step by step. Everything worked perfectly however, after scanning the system with the OWASP ZAP security vulnerability scanner, I found some holes I needed to close... so the second script, literally just goes through and does security house cleaning. It allowed me to do the whole setup process in 5 to 10 minutes... the only catch being, I never tested the email... so I really do appreciate you getting back to me my friend. Sorry again for all the trouble!

Attached Files:

6. Taleman

I'm reading on tablet computer. Can't unzip files.

7. armaclaren

armaclaren New Member

Here are the error logs uploaded individually... I hope this makes it easier my friend.

Attached Files:

8. Taleman

Mail.log looks like nothing is printed when you try to log in. This may be because your network setting are messed up. Read the first lines in htf-report. Check what you have in /etc/host and /etc/network/settings.
    You run ISPConfig dev version. Is there a reason you do not run the stable version?
    Compare what you have in master.cf with the Perfect Server Guide. Although that is not about roundcube login.
    Compare roundcube setup with Perfect Server Guide.

9. armaclaren

armaclaren New Member

your instincts appear to be correct my friend.... I was going to paste my install script in here and I noticed that whats on the site "the perfect server ubuntu 16.04" has changed... I'm going to re-follow the newer 18.04 install. I'll keep you updated in how it goes but still wanted to thank you for your help!

10. armaclaren

armaclaren New Member

Hey bud,

You are correct! Something corrupted on the original install that I did.

I did a test rebuild on a new server and everything was working.

Thank you again for all of your help!

11. barongan

barongan New Member

tagged[​IMG]

12. Taleman

Press "watch thread" if you want notications from new posts.