Can't see Fedora box from Windows XP box.

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by wvsailor, Sep 8, 2006.

1. wvsailor

wvsailor New Member

I have a Fedora Core 5 box on my Windows network now, and it can see and access windows files and folders. The windows machine can NOT see the fedora box. I followed the Perfect Setup. I'm still trying to learn ispConfig and get my "main" webpage up, but that's an entirely different issue. I'm reading the manuals and will post if I have problems with that... BUT...

How do i share the Linux file system with the rest of the network, but still make sure is protected from the internet hacks? :confused:

2. jjw

jjw New Member

What are you trying to share? Storage space? You could create a user called storage on the new machine, and then have your LAN access it via an FTP client or SFTP. A couple of years ago I came across a nice client called winscp for Windows machines:

http://winscp.net/eng/index.php

3. wvsailor

wvsailor New Member

Keep in mind I'm a major newbie to *nix systems...

I tried connecting via ftp with filezilla using the ip address of the box (192.168.0.100) to upload my webpages for my main domain. I wanted to have my page up before I went "live". This is the response:

Status: Connected with 192.168.0.100. Waiting for welcome message...
    Response: 220 FTP Server ready.
    Command: USER root
    Response: 331 Password required for root.
    Command: PASS ********
    Response: 530 Login incorrect.
    Error: Unable to connect!

I know it's the correct password since I had just logged into the box as root. Somehow, somewhere, it looks as if I don't have the correct username and/or password. I even tried logging in as "admin" for the main user of ispConfig.

I CAN login to ipConfig via https://192.168.0.100:100:81 so I tried ftps://192.168.0.100 and the response:

Status: Connected with 192.168.0.100, negotiating SSL connection...
    Error: Can't establish SSL connection
    Error: Disconnected from server
    Error: Unable to connect!

Last edited: Sep 8, 2006
  4. jjw

jjw New Member

I'm a nobb too. :)

Keep in mind that FTP sends username/password in clear text, and your FTP daemon may not allow root to loging remotely. In fact, you can set up the SSH daemon to also disallow root login. this is a good thing.

How about making a new user and loggin in as this user instead of root?

/usr/sbin/useradd newUser

passwd newUser
    <- you are prompted twice for the password for newUser

5. jjw

jjw New Member

You should try the winscp client I linked to above. It has drag and drop capability, and you can even edit the files on your server through this client.

And SFTP does not send username/password in plain text. ;)

FTP: File Transfer Protocol
    SFTP: Secure Fire Tansfer Protocol

6. wvsailor

wvsailor New Member

I don't think it'll work since my windows box doesn't see my fedora box. I'm sure it has to do with a setting about file sharing or something with the settings, I'm just not sure where they are, what they SHOULD be running ispConfig, and if I can change them or not.

7. jjw

jjw New Member

Oh I get it. Can't see it.

Are they both on the same network? Same subnet? Can one ping the other? Can they both ping the router?

8. wvsailor

wvsailor New Member

If I go to the router, i can see both of my computers listed as "attached" hardware. I can see my windows box from my fedora box, but I can't see my fedora box while looking in "network neighborhood" on the xp box.

I can ping the fedora box from the windows box, and ping the windows box from the fedora box. Both are on the same router, with the same subnet. I've assigned static ip's to both (Win = 192.168.0.50 Fedora 192.168.0.100 both have a subnet of 255.255.255.0). I can access the internet from both.

9. jjw

jjw New Member

Okay, I get it. I think you want to use Samba or SMB to allow Windows users, using Network Neighborhood, to access the Fedora server. I get it now.

You might check this out for SMB background:
    http://samba.anu.edu.au/cifs/docs/what-is-smb.html

And this for 'How To':
    http://www.reallylinux.com/docs/basicnetworking.shtml

10. Ben

Ben ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

To easier set up Samba stuff, try SWAT. It is a webinterface but you should only activate it if you really want to change anything in your configs.

I would no use this neighbourhood stuff from windows. I Prefer directly typing the IP in to the URL-bar because that's much faster than browsing the neighboorhood folders and waiting for windows to look the whole stuff up.

11. pbv

pbv New Member

I'm new to Fedora (v.5) too and have the self same problem, except that I can see the Linux computer on my two WinXP computers, and vice versa. I can access and copy the Windows shared files from Linux, but the Linux machine rejects any attempt to do likewise from Windows. All the machines are connected through a US Robotics router and to the Internet through a single modem.
    Any thoughts anyone on what Fedora firewall settings will allow access by the other computers on the network?

12. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

What's in the logs on the Linux system when this happens?