Can't send mail to external address?

Discussion in 'General' started by StevenD, Feb 13, 2009.

1. StevenD

StevenD Member

Hi,

I have Debian with ISPConfig.

Here is a little background of what I have done, probably made a few mistakes which have caused this.

Up until I did the below I could send and receive using squirrelmail both external and internal, now I can send & receive internal, and I can receive external but can't send external.

1. I was trying to get outlook to pop and smtp to my email account.
    2. I was trying to connect with pop.mydomain.co.uk and smtp.mydomain.co.uk.
    3. Whilst trying to use these I was getting errors that the server could not be found.
    4. I read a post saying that someone had fixed a similar problem by unchecking the maildir and the rechecking the maildir checkbox in ISPConfig.
    5. Obviously this does not fix the connection issue as the pop and smtp should have been www.mydomian.co.uk
    6. So now I can connect and download from my mailbox, but now I have the problem where I cannot send to external domains.

This is the error I get back.

Code:
    550 5.1.1 <[email protected]>: Recipient address rejected: User unknown in local recipient table
    I have tried.
    Code:
    /etc/init.d/postfix restart
    It restarted postfix fine but didn't fix the problem.

Any Ideas?

Thanks

Steve

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

3) You have to creat dns a-records before you can use a subdomain.

Please post the exact error messages from the mail log.

3. StevenD

StevenD Member

Hi Till,

Thanks for your reply.

I think I know what the problem is.
    I was thinking of transferring a domain I own from an external server supplier, over to my server.

So what I did was to create the web in the ISPConfig panel, so I think that it is looking on my server for the email user. I have since deleted the web from ISPConfig panel and emptied my recycle bin but it still seems to think that it is an internal domain.

Is there a lookup table for local addresses that I need to delete out the reference to the deleted domain? So that it will go back to being an external one?

Thanks

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

If you emptied the recycle bin then the domain is removed completely. Most likely you used the same domain in main.cf as you configured the server or as hostname, so you will have to change it there too.