Careful with re-creating Websites or anything MYSQL related

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by norbie, Oct 13, 2012.

1. norbie

norbie New Member

Hi all,
    here is a, as I think, strange behaviour that I encountered within my system setup.

After I was done re-creating, all seemd to work fine, at least so I thought.
    A local user, with different IPS reported that he could not reach my web sites.
    My checks revealed no problems at all, all seemed to work fine,
    So I used some DNS check websites to see if the DNS would resolve to my servers.
    They did (after some fixing in this area), but failed to connect to my Web sites!

Why???

After a long search and essentially by coincidence, I found that my web sites weren't re-created at all. ISPConfig 3 reported all A OK, but it wasn't!
    Some stange situation allows me to connect, slow but no problem, but it does not go beyond the local system.
    Apparently a Bug within MYSQL does prevent you from re-creating your web site or better yet creates a new entry with new index. I don't know enough to troubleshoot it down to the nitty critty but know that much that the VHOST has absolutely no idea how to serve the web pages. If you tried to connect from a different NET it would get nothing.
    Locally, it would work perfectly, because I believe of the hosts entries. Thats as far as it would go, faking a perfectly working system.

But it didn't Work Perfectly!

This can get very frustrating!
    I went and tried to re-create the user as before manually.
    MYSQL would throw an error at me, USER ALREADY EXISTS
    But wait, I deleted this one and it should not exist!
    Try again, same error and message.
    How do I delete something that doesn't exist but it does exists??
    Then I ran across this article http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5555328/error-1396-hy000-operation-create-user-failed-for-jacklocalhost
    I went by this article and I could remove the old user and recreate the exact same as a new user.
    I still have no luck with all of my websites (FUBAR) except for the one that I moved to a different machine not yet affected by the BUG.
    Using phpmyadmin, I found duplicate entries and other stuff that does not make sense to me, so I stayed away from it. It's broken enough without my help!!!!
    This one works just fine www.svxlink.net from a different machine.
    I haven't gotten around to move the rest out of the discombubaration so it becomes accessible again to the outside world.
    As for ISPConfig 3 I will have to retire it until the MYSQL bug is fixed or ISPConfig 3 has some mechanism that actually checks that there is an error.
    AS A PATCH FOR NOW, I suggest to disable the Website delete function and keep an eye on the MYSQL BUG.

There are a number of things that I don't believe that ISPConfig does error checks on and if it does it is so much later when nobody is logged in, to see it.

Out of desperatiuon, I have moved my DNS's to stand alone, I love to have assurance that no database or anything else is messing with it without telling me.
    At this point I don't think that my e-mail goes beyond the local system either.
    Since there is just too much manual footwork to be done to fix it, I will probably simple wipe and re-start again, probably using the ISPCONFIG panel only for the mail and web server, making sure not to delete ANYTHING because my mail was more than once out of commission because I think of the MYSQL bug.

I have noticed that you can tell if your Database is hosed, by the time it takes to log into your control panel or if you use SSH how long it takes until you get the login prompt.
    It will take very long to have something happening.
    My standalone, in a blink of my eye....

WATHEVER YOU DO, DO NOT DELETE WEBSITES AND RE-CREATE AN EXACT COPY OF IT. IT WILL SCREW YOUR DATABSE AS SOON AS YOU WANT THE SAME THING!!!

THIS WILL RENDER YOUR WEBSITE INACCESSIBLE, BECAUSE IT DOES ACTUALLY NOT EXIST OR UPDATE ANYMORE!!!

I just don't understand that this doesn't get fixed, because it is long enough out there to have websites report workarounds?????:mad:

Last edited: Oct 13, 2012
  2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Deleting and recreating websites works fine, i'am doing it regularily in ispconfig. I understand that you dont know much about ispconfig and are not able to understand what happened in detail on your server, but then you might want to ask for help instead of claiming the nonse above.

If you would have asked us and checked the slave in debug mode, your problem would had been solved easily and without reinstallation.

Regarding the link that you posted to the mysql question, thats no bug in mysql, the poster messed in the user database of mysql manually and removed records without using he correct user drop commands nor doing a flush priveliges which is required after a change in that table.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2012
  3. norbie

norbie New Member

Ispconfig

Hi Till,
    I don't look at it as nonsense since the problems I ran into were very not nonsense.
    If the poster of this article messed with the database himself, so be it.
    Also, I believe that a similar or even exact bug was posted on the MYSQL or related website. Can't remember if it was the same revision.
    I also understand, that a bug is only a bug if one looks at it as a bug. Otherwise, it's not and there are many ways to explain why it isn't or it is someone elses fault.

*** NO BUG, Perfect World ***

I DO know that I did absolutely NOT mess with the database directly, whatsoever!
    Whatever I changed, was done through the panel!
    I guess I must have two left hands to mess this up?

Lets just call it a mystery, at least it is to me. I don't know exactly when it stopped working, since I could still connect through whatever route it would chose.
    The only thing I was wondering was why it would take so long to connect to the server, even through the LAN (No names involved, straight IP).
    The indication that I was shut off from the rest of the Internet, was that I didn't get hits anymore and my records indicate that this was about three weeks before I discovered it.

ISPConfig showed in the monitor section, don't worry be happy, everything is A OK!

As to asking for help, most of the time the help is flying so high that I can't grab it anymore and just say to myself, "it is faster to re-create a system then trying to figure out what that one liner just meant"

I am doing some programming myself in C, however on Microcontroller chips at a very low level not involving libraries ( from others) and what have you, that takes years to memorize and figure out (and then, it changes).
    I am actually creating my own libraries (they'll change every time anyway) for those chips and the microcontroller do run afterwards!
    That's a different story, also I am looking back at only 30+ years of electronic design. Many times, I only had a huntch which usually turned out to be the real culprid.
    But again, what do I know?

Within a few hours of making the DNS standalone, manually configured, I got hits again. Strange, I'd say!

Thanks for your reply, I think I'll stay away from ISPConfig, since it has dissappointed me now for the third time.
    At first, it seemed to be easy to set up and operate, but it has actually caused me to invest more research time than I allocated.
    It may be rock solid, if and only if you know what NOT TO DO, I suppose.
    I will never know what that would be.
    Please don't misunderstand me, there maybe wiz kids and owners that don't have any problems!
    Your work is certainly appreciated!

Best regards,
    Norbert, KJ6ZD

4. till

Its sad to hear that you stop using ispconfig. I dont meant that your problems were nonsense, just the explanation makes no sense who knows how ispconfig and a multiserver setup work internally. We could have helped you to resolve the issue within a short time but you did not ask for help and the findings that you posted above - a mysql issue caused by the poster of that issue - was really not related to your problem in any way. A multiserver system is a complex setup and while you thought that the problem was caused by deleting and recreating the site it could have been caused by something totally different. I see that regulary in my daily work as system admin that the things that users thought are causing a issue are often not even related and just a timely coincident or it was something else that tehy did and they tell me later "oh I did not know that this was related so I did not tell you...". ISPConfig is used on > 100 000 servers worldwide so you can rest assured that it works flawlessly and you can delete a site and create it again without any issues, this is even a part of the tests that we do regularily for the ispconfig development and releases.

A website in ispconfig is not connected to the dns part in any way in the controlpanel, so if using a standalone dns helped, then your problem was likely a dns or network problem and not a problem with recreating the website. Also the slow connections that you decsribe indicate a network or routing problem, both can not be caused by recreating a website as this changes only the apache vhost configuration file and creates the site folders, not more or less.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
  5. till

I did a small test script so that everyone can verify that recreating a site many times in ispconfig does not cause any problems. The script creates the domain testdomain.tld in ispconfig 10 times and deletes it 9 times and leaves the last try as it is. I had run it on ispconfig 3.0.4.6 and the created site testdomain.tld works fine after recreating it 10 times.

Please find attached the script.

Attached Files: