Catchall account catches no existing mails

Discussion in 'General' started by BLaCKie_MoRGaN, Aug 1, 2007.

1. BLaCKie_MoRGaN

BLaCKie_MoRGaN New Member

And i will explain my self...

I had the mail elsewhere and one account was receiving way too many spam mails! this account has not been created in the new setup with ispconfig. ([email protected])

Now when i look at the catchall emails i see spam mails that where supposed to go to [email protected] but i have not setup such an account!

Is there anything wrong with that or it is they way ispconfig/mail server works?

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

No, thats the correct behaviour and it is the same in any mailserver setup and not ISPConfig specific. Catchall means that all emails for non existing accounts go to this account. So, if you do not create a account info@..., then all emails go to the catchall account.

If you do not want to receive emails for non existant accounts, disable the catchall function of the mail account.

3. BLaCKie_MoRGaN

And if i disable the catchall for the account then it won;t receive any mails from existing user too correct?

(it is a separate account for mail backup of the company)

4. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

A catchall account doesn't receive emails for other existing accounts, only for not-existing accounts.

5. BLaCKie_MoRGaN

Heh! Misunderstod it! Thanks for clearing this up and you created another question in my head!

Is there a way to create an account that will catch all email in the existing accounts? (backup purposes)

6. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

You can achieve this e.g. by entering the email address of the backup account in the forwarding field of the email account in ISPConfig and additionally enable the "Save email" checkbox.