CatchALL Email problem

Discussion in 'General' started by Snowman, Jun 26, 2007.

1. Snowman

Snowman Member

hi there,

Problem :

1/ I have domain like "domain.com"
    2/ I set [email protected] as a CatchALL email for domain "domain.com", no other mail accounts exists at all
    3/ when i log to my gmail account and i send email to : [email protected] and CC(copy) to [email protected]
    4/ I receive mail twice ( THIS IS MY PROBLEM )

Problem 2 :

1/ My problem is to solve that i get mail twice because when i resend that [email protected] mails to local mail server in some company, mail server in that company will recognize 2 mails and every user (user "x" and also user "y")
    will get that mail twice .

Questions :

1/ Why i get that mail twice ?
    2/ Is it a kind of bug in ISPConfig ?
    3/ Some real solution how to solve ?

btw :) sorry for my english

thanks for any help
    snowman

2. the_spy

the_spy New Member

it is normal to receive 2 mails if you send it to 2 email addresses, I don't see a bug here

3. Snowman

Snowman Member

Hi,
    my opinion is that there should be at minimal som OPTION to choose.
    i saw couple of another hosting companies, there was also something like CacheALL Email in ISPConfig, i tested that and i received only 1 E-MAIL!

So the second mail server send 1 email to [email protected] and 1 email to [email protected] ! I like this...

But in ispconfig its not like this :( .

Some other suggestions ?

4. Hans

Hans Moderator Moderator

It's absolutely no bug, and it is the only way it should work!

For example a practic situation:
    If somebody send an and e-mail [email protected] and a cc to [email protected] the catchall mailbox [email protected] will catch two emails, because the correct e-mailaddresses are: [email protected] & [email protected]. In this case, the person who takes care for the catchall mailbox [email protected] is able to forward the e-mail to the correct mailboxes. Reason for this is that the postmaster recognises the persons. before @domain.tld.

If the catch-all e-mailadress [email protected] only catches 1 e-mail (for example, the one which has been sent to [email protected]), the other person T.Brehm will never get involved, because the postmaster can't know that the mail is ment for T.Brehm. All, because of a small typo (forget a . within the emailaddress).

Last edited: Jun 28, 2007
  5. Snowman

Snowman Member

next Q

hi,
    thanks for explaining Hans , but :

so when i send some mail to [email protected] and a cc to [email protected] then the mail server for domain domain.tld will receive two emails ?

there is no possibility to get only one email with two addresses ?and then postmaster will resend that mail to each other (to the first and to the second address) ?

thnx for reply

6. Hans

Hans Moderator Moderator

I think that's not possible.
    And what happens if the sender used bcc instead of cc.?

I think it is not a problem, but it is not the way you like it ;).

7. mlz

mlz Member

I for one would be ticked if a hosting provider filtered out e-mail because it "thought" it was a duplicate.

If you look at how mail works, if you send a mail to two address' your server (not the receiver) sends two mails, you only uploaded one to two address' So the receiving server gets two mails. If an ISP is filtering mail because it's duplicate, they are deleting an e-mail for no reason.

That's a bad practice in my opinion, as it takes the options from the client. If I want to delete a duplicate mail in my catch all, that should be for me to do, not the server.

Just my $0.02... :D

8. Snowman

Snowman Member

I am not sure if you understand my problem.

i.e. You will send 1 email to 5 addresses(cc) and my ISPConfig CatcheALL email like [email protected] will receive 5 same emails and every user at local mail server will get 5 same mails because of cc .My wish is to send only one email to every user.

thnx

9. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

It looks like you did not understand exactly how a ctachall works. A catchall redirects all emails for not configured email addresses to one account. So if you send a email to five poeple, postfix trys to deliver the email to every of the 5 accounts individually and when the account does not exist, the email is redirected to the catchall account for every non existant account.

10. Check

Check New Member

Sounds like you dont want to use a catch all- at all.

Set up 2 email accounts seperate from the catch all. Create an email with email1 in the to section and email2 in the cc. Now log into each account and you will only see 1 email in each mailbox. Then log into your catch all account and you will not see that message as it was correctly deleived to the two recipiants

11. AlArenal

AlArenal New Member

The catchall in ISPC works like any other catchall no matter what admin software you use, because it's how a catchall is intended and supposed to work.

Bottom line is: Don't use what you don't like.