Centos 4.5 -> 4.6

Discussion in 'General' started by erebus, Dec 17, 2007.

1. erebus

erebus New Member

Hello,

Has anybody upgraded Centos 4.5 to 4.6 via yum on an ISPConfig installation?

Is it safe or will it break anything?

Thank you,

2. ebal

ebal New Member

no problem for me,
    but havent find the time to reboot yet :)

3. erebus

erebus New Member

Please reboot!

j/k :eek:

4. ebal

ebal New Member

I took the confs a backup and i did a successful reboot
    everything seems ok. Do you want me to test anything else ?
    :)

5. erebus

erebus New Member

Thank you very much for your help! I will perform the upgrade today too and report the results.

6. erebus

erebus New Member

Unfortunately things didn't work well after the reboot, although the update finished without visible problems.

I had changed the sshd port to something else than the default 22 when I originally setup the box. After upgrading to 4.6 and rebooting, the sshd conf seemed to have been replaced and sshd now works on the default port 22.

Although this wouldn't be a serious problem, now I can't remotely login to the box at all. SSHd seem to work, however it doesn't accept my normal user credentials and I can't either login as root (password is unaccepted in both cases).

Can anybody help me with this?

I don't know either why this happened or how to revive my system... Please help!

7. erebus

erebus New Member

Nobody?

Please help!

8. erebus

erebus New Member

Ok, remote hands were finally needed for this problem to be resolved.

It seems like those guys in CentOS, configured the upgrade to replace the original sshd_config file with a new one having the 'UsePAM yes' and 'Port 22' settings replacing your old ones WITHOUT ANY PROMPT.

This was responsible for breaking my installation, so PLEASE double check your sshd_config file if you perform this upgrade BEFORE rebooting your system, so as not to lock yourself out of your box.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2007