CentOS 5.1 Server Setup: LAMP, Email, DNS, FTP, ISPConfig (a.k.a. The Perfect Server)

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by eban22, Apr 2, 2008.

1. eban22

eban22 New Member

Hello,

I've downloaded the image for this tutorial, however, when the system boots up and asks me for the login and password, I realize that I do not have them. Can someone tell me what the root password is? when I imported the image into the VMware player, it went right to the login prompt ofcouse, so I did not have the option to create a root password. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

eban22

2. zcworld

zcworld New Member

3. eban22

eban22 New Member

CentOS 5.1 Setup

Great,

Thanks; I have noticed that all of the keyboard values have changed. My guess is that I will have to reconfigure my keyboard setup. Has anyone experienced this after downloading the VMware player and images for the first time?

Thanks

eban22

4. zcworld

zcworld New Member

i found that myself when i had a quick look at one i downloaded

try run the setup to pick the keyboard layout :)
    setup -> keyboard layout :)

5. eban22

eban22 New Member

Okay, but I am not sure how to get to setup. Is this within the VMware player? I've never used it before and I don't see any options to get to setup.

Thanks

eban22

6. zcworld

zcworld New Member

:) i only use VMware server
    not palyed with VMware palyer

just boot up the VM image
    than setup (type it in) via command line
    keyboard layout : pick your keyboard type
    tab to OK and exit the setup menu
    the keyboard should be mapped right :)

7. eban22

eban22 New Member

Got it!! I guess that the default keyboard setup is for German. Everything is fine now. Thanks for your help:)

eban22

8. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

You can connect to the VM with PuTTY. In PuTTY, you have the host's keyboard layout.

9. eban22

eban22 New Member

Thanks, by the way, are there any examples that illustrate the usage of the features that this image has; LAMP, Email, DNS, etc.

Thanks

eban22

10. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

You can install ISPConfig on it and then create web sites, users, email accounts, etc. Of course, you can do all this by hand, but it requires deep knowledge. For example, if you want to create email accounts manually, take a look here: http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2