CentOS 5.2 PostFix/DoveCot Maildir broken

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by faalhaas, Sep 29, 2009.

1. faalhaas

faalhaas New Member

Last thursday yum completely wiped my server :-(. Luckily this happened the day after i got back from my holiday... but: backup hadn't run in 2 weeks (it couldn't send the data to my house).

So i used CentOS live CD to backup the home folders to a windows laptop. I reinstalled the server and copied the home folders back (all this without tarring them or anything, just a plain copy)

I gave them rights. the user has 700 on the maildir, and is owner.

Now here is the problem:
    Whenever i try and access the mails in the directory, i get a list saying '(no subject)'. A few messages do have a subject, sender and dat information. Bu cannot be opened.
    This is the same with clients (thunderbird and outlook) as with Roundcube and the webmin mailbox peeking tool.
    I suspect the NTFT filesystem has broke the message tree.

I have been fiddling with access rights and stuff for a while, but i suspect the index is broken or something. Anyone any ideas on how to fix this.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2009
  2. faalhaas

faalhaas New Member

and the answer is...

well, i figured it out. when i copied the messages to the windows machine, all the email messages got reduced to 0 bytes. i guess that was some security thing or something.

At this point, dovecot thinks they are still there, because the files exist. Since the files (messages) are 0 bytes. There is no content and trying to open them will result in an error.

Shame on me for loosing my user's mail messages :(

So, a warning for all of us: when your server has crashed, test your backup before wiping the server. You may need to try and rescue more data.