Centos 5.4 with ISPConfig3 new guy learn linux

Discussion in 'General' started by kripkorn, Jan 6, 2010.

1. kripkorn

kripkorn New Member

I juz setup my server for local use using The Perfect Centos. Everthing was very smooth.
    i can access my server using 127.0.0.1 or 192.168.1.2 or server1.example.com.
    i can access my ispconfig3 admin using port 8080.

so my problem is i dont know to use the ISP config.

let say i want to make new hosting like testing.local, what the step by step i should take so that i can access it within my local intranet.

what i have done :

create user
    create site
    create DNS..

acess using testing.local--- fail.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The steps are all finre. But I guess you did not tell your workstation to use the dns server of your ispconfig server to resolve testing.local. Or you have to add a line for testing.local in the hosts file of your workstation pc.

3. kripkorn

kripkorn New Member

i know if i add the testing.local. in host it will work...but if i use that method, what the point having myDNS? so i missing something here?

how to point my ISpconfig to use myDNS?

4. till

Thats not a question of ISPConfig.

If you run a own dns server, you have to tell your workstation and not ispconfig to use mydns. Goi to your network settings on your workstation and configure it to use your ispconfig server as first dns server. Or use regular domain names like yourdomain.com that are known in the internet.

5. panny200555

panny200555 New Member

help me too

First of all thanx for the great help that you all are providing.

I'm also new to linux and ispconfig 3 and i've the same doubts that has 'kripkorn'.
    I think i'm mising something. At the moment I'm trying ispconfig at my local ip.

I'm really not understanding the DNS section(and also emails), how can check if ispconfig3's DNS section is working fine???:confused:
    Would you please explain a little bit.

p.s: i'm not running my own dns server.
    I've CentOs 5.4 Perfect Server+ Ispconfig 3.0.1.6

Thanx in advance.

6. till

If you dont run your own dns server, do not add or edit anything in the dns secition. This section is only if you run your own dns.

7. panny200555

panny200555 New Member

yet confused....

Ok then why did the tutorial make me install MYDNS??? what is it's function?

8. till

What a funny question. It enables you to run a own dns server. But as you dont want to run a dns server and use the server of your provider instead, you dont have to use it...

9. panny200555

panny200555 New Member

now understanding a bit

Thanks Till,

Now i'm understanding the stuff... But Now I'm Learning the advantage of having my own dns server..

If you shed a little light on it... (also briefly)

Thanx for all.:)

10. panny200555

panny200555 New Member

an advise...

Thanx Till for your help.

I've a small question.. I've some domains registered with Godaddy and if i'm right it provides FREE dns management. As now I've setup my own CentOs perfect server for running my sites with their emails, can I use godaddy's dns service for this instead running my own Dns server.
    Is it right(and easy)?? or i should run my own dns server??

As I've read lot of documentation about running own dns server, it's seems a little bit hard in terms of responsibility and reliability.

Am I right?? or I'm mising something??

Thanx in adavce..

11. till

You can use the godaddy dns server.

Running a own dns server only makes sense if you have a lot of domains and own at least two indepenadant servers.

12. panny200555

panny200555 New Member

thanxx

Thannx Till,

I got it that It's better if a use godaddy's nameservers for my few domains.

thanxxxxxxxxxx a lot for all...

for now i've no other questions.:D