CentOS 6.5 x86_64 Missing Log Rotation and rkhunter Extra Runs

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Elbonian, Jan 1, 2014.

1. Elbonian

Elbonian New Member

I have just built this server using the Perfect Server instructions for CentOS 6.4 (but I have 6.5), Apache, and dovecot, and I have ISPConfig 3.0.5.3 installed. I'm trying to get this server ready to go live. I have a plethora of issues.

It seems that the server is missing some log rotation. So far I've noted that the cron log file and the maillog file are growing fairly rapidly. The cron log is growing rapidly in part due to the fact that ISPConfig is executing a cron job once per minute. OK, so just how is that invoked? It sure isn't in crontab, which is entirely empty. And I can't find anything relevant in the /etc/cron.d directory. and the /etc/anacrontab file contains only the anacron related jobs.

The reason I am asking this is because the /var/log/cron file discloses that the cron daemon runs rkhunter every day at about 3 AM. But rkhunter is also getting run every day at about 11 PM, although that execution is not logged in the /var/log/cron file, so it must be getting invoked from someplace else.

I looked at the scripts in /usr/local/ispconfig/server and I could not find anything that seemed to invoke rkhunter. But I also can't find where the server.sh script, which is logged once per minute into /var/log/cron, gets commanded to be invoked. So there must be other crontabs hidden around somewhere. But where do I look? And why am I getting a regular execution of rkhunter once a day at 11:00 PM when that execution does not appear in the /var/log/cron file?

And finally, does anybody have a suggestion for log rotation to protect my rather limited (72 GB) hard drive from getting filled up with log files?