CentOS 7 Support

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by Blaasbalg, Aug 15, 2014.

1. Blaasbalg

Blaasbalg Member

Hi,

CentOS 7 has been released about a month ago, something I (and I assume many other fellow CentOS users) have been quite excited about. :)

I'm very keen to upgrade my servers, but unfortunately CentOS 7 isn't supported by ISPConfig yet. Therefore I'm wondering if support is coming for CentOS 7.

Are there currently any plans to support it? :)

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The problem here is the epel repo for centos 7 and not ispconfig. Epel is still in beta and some required packages like pure_ftpd are still not available for Centos 7 and a update maes no sense when you wont be able to use large parts of your server afterwards anymore like no ftp logins.

3. Blaasbalg

Blaasbalg Member

How silly of me to forget about Epel (perhaps I was a bit too excited), haha. :eek:

Alright, thank you for the quick reply till. ;)

4. michelangelo

michelangelo Active Member

I understand that Pure-FTPD is a major reason to have a running ISPConfig server, but what else is necessarily required from EPEL to run ISPConfig under CentOS 7, or to have the "initiate" reason to start developing on the compat for it?

If I am not wrong, then Pure-FTPD (I guess also ISPConfig) does probably just need systemd support, or am I wrong? ProFTPD btw does already exist in EPEL 7, just as a hint, because there is also already an opened feature-ticket on the bugtracker for ProFTPD.

5. till

Most likely there has nothing to be changed in ispconfig to support Centos 7, it will just work out of the box. But we cant test this until all required packages are available.

pure-ftpd works in latest ubuntu, debian (inkl. testing) and opensuse, so there is no technical reason that pure-ftpd is not available yet in epel. Epel is still beta and I guess the maintainers have not build the package yet,

6. Blaasbalg

Blaasbalg Member

7. till

Oh nice, finally they did it :) Off course just after I finished my draft for the centos perfect server guide that include compile instructions for pure-ftpd.

Thanks for the notice.

8. concept21

concept21 Active Member

9. aferra

aferra New Member

Hi Till,
    what about your centos 7 guide ?

Thnaks
    Alessandro

10. wiss

wiss Member

+1 Till

Guide???

Thx.

11. ilokano

ilokano New Member

+1 too. Got a VPS on standby waiting for the guide :) I could try on my own but would rather wait.

12. till

13. Doug G

Doug G Member HowtoForge Supporter

Thank you Till

14. wiss

wiss Member

Thank you Till.

What do you prefer for VPS... Apache or Nginx? tutorial with nginx... when...?

Thx.

15. cloudfastservers

cloudfastservers New Member

100 times Nginix

16. till