CentOS 7: Upgrading to a Modern PHP

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by fatbear, Dec 11, 2016.

1. fatbear

fatbear Member HowtoForge Supporter

I have an existing ISPConfig 3 installation (3.0.5.4p9) and am using the latest CentOS 7.2 PHP package available: PHP 5.4.16. I do note that the Remi repository include PHP 7.1. I'm looking to upgrade PHP because we use RocketTheme Joomla templates for websites and they will soon be no longer supporting PHP 5.4.
    Can someone point me to the safest and easiest way to upgrade PHP to a more modern PHP version for CentOS 7.2 without breaking ISPConfig functionality? I don't care if the best way to upgrade PHP involves Remi or not--as long as it is safe and, hopefully, easy. I also don't care if the upgraded PHP version is 7.1. I just need something that will work with RocketTheme templates.

2. RHITNL

RHITNL Member

Did you ever got an answer on this question ? I searched this forum and google but nothing suitable.

3. ahrasis

ahrasis Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Never done any for Centos. For Ubuntu, I do use ondrej ppa to upgrade to latest php.

However, the safest way is to build the latest one as an option to current php for your distro since by default ISPC will only use your distro php.

This php option can be just one or varios php version i.e. 5.5, 5.6, 7.0 and 7.1.

I believe there are tutorials for that at least for Debian and Ubuntu. Do check that out.