CentOS 8 goes stream by next year

Discussion in 'Smalltalk' started by exynenem, Dec 9, 2020.

1. exynenem

exynenem Member

The one or other user might have already read this news but RedHat (IBM) will transition CentOS 8 by 2021 into a "Stream" rolling-release like version for their RHEL product. This means that CentOS 8 won't get anymore 10 years of LTS support for free while the support cycle for CentOS 7 remains untouched until its end-of-life in 2024.

The development cycle will look by 2021 like that:
    Fedora -> CentOS Stream -> RHEL LTS

The questions which are afaik yet unanswered are: How long will be CentOS 8 supported? A support cycle like Fedora, 1,5 years, (maybe +1-2years on top, so something between 2 - 5 years in total) comes to my mind. This is overall a bad news and the only "exciting" thing about that is that CentOS 8 users won't run any more aged software. It will be more bleeding-edge but not as bleeding-edge as Fedora.

Another question which comes up is how current RHEL 8 clones like Oracle Enterprise Linux and CloudLinux will react to that. Most likely they will go the same route as CentOS does since they rely on the same source packages and will probably transition to the stream version as well.

Last but not least I've just discovered that the original founder of CentOS, Gregory Kurtzer already wrote that he wants to create a new RHEL clone called "Rocky Linux" (https://github.com/hpcng/rocky) with its intend to be 100% bug-for-bug compatible with Red Hat Enterprise Linux.

Maybe we will see something happening what has once happened to OpenOffice but by next year to CentOS...

edit:
    Judging this statement from the Q&A:
    https://centos.org/distro-faq/#q3-w...rise-linux-continue-to-appear-on-gitcentosorg

The RHEL sources will continue to be released. That would mean that Rocky Linux or Oracle Enterprise Linux and other projects can continue to rebuild the RHEL packages and provide 10 years LTS support just as RHEL does, except CentOS...

Last edited: Dec 9, 2020
  2. Daan

Daan New Member

Regarding news related to Centos8, i wonder will ISPConfig become compatible Oracle Linux?...or already is?

3. michelangelo

michelangelo Active Member

ISPConfig should work with OEL and other RHEL clones unless were there not too many changes under the "hood" to a clone. The only real thing that is currently missing is the OS detection for these clones.

4. keybd_user

keybd_user Member

This is an important issue since Centos is by far the majority OS platform that supports most Web-based datacenter servers. I believe on dedicated servers at least they are the majority of installs and that makes a lot of sense.
    I think that Rocky Linux is the immediate answer since the project is founded by the Core Centos Team that of course did not like the IBM move ...
    Since Rocky Linux will become patch by Patch compatible with Red Hat Server LTS .. then in principle the only thing to do is to maintain the Current support but to Rocky Linux ...
    if Rocky Linux goes forward I see no problem on the near future but maybe someone can come out with a better idea for future LTS distros ...
    It would be great to have something coming out of SuSE , a Centos like clone to SLES ...

5. pvanthony

pvanthony Active Member HowtoForge Supporter

Does ispconfig support Centos Stream?

6. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

My understanding is not. Is CentOS Stream even released yet? I thought it is the next version and going to be released a year from now.

ahrasis likes this.
  7. exynenem

exynenem Member

CentOS Stream was already released. It's only three commands to convert CentOS 8 to CentOS 8 Stream - https://www.centos.org/centos-stream

Afaik by the end of this year CentOS 8 users won't get any updates and it is recommended then to convert to CentOS 8 Stream, by the latest or to convert the CentOS 8 Enterprise Linux to Rocky Linux, or Cloud Linux 8 or something like that before - whatever will take the place of ye good old 10 years supported CentOS. CentOS 8 Stream will be supported for the full period of Phase 1 of RHEL 8, so until ~2024 and after that CentOS 9 Stream will be released.

8. Th0m

Th0m ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

This is a good question. I will discuss this.

pvanthony likes this.
  9. ahrasis

ahrasis Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

pvanthony likes this.
  10. pvanthony

pvanthony Active Member HowtoForge Supporter

Actually I am thinking for ispconfig kind of use case, centos stream should be great. We get new php, database and email software.
    Should be better correct? What does the rest think?

11. michelangelo

michelangelo Active Member

Imho ISPConfig will have to support CentOS Stream too because not everyone will convert their machines to some other RHEL clone, or to RHEL directly.

12. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

I am not ISPConfig developer nor work for ISPConfig. My guess is CentOS Stream gets supported if there are paying customers. But if CentOS 8, CentOS Stream, RHEL and Rocky Linux are all different and each requires its own porting effort, the support is not likely to appear.
    I have used Debian since decades.

ahrasis likes this.
  13. exynenem

exynenem Member

You can't suddenly start charging ISPConfig users for "just 10 lines of detection code and a template file" and as of now every frigging clone or variant of RHEL as its origin shares pretty much the same folder structure in /etc. Even the newest Fedora works with ISPConfig, although it's not officially supported.

14. ahrasis

ahrasis Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

I think supports currently are meant for LTS version even for Ubuntu and I think RHEL if compared to Centos Stream is the LTS version but I don't use any of both and could be wrong.