CentOS and Fedora

Discussion in 'Smalltalk' started by sbovisjb1, Apr 5, 2006.

1. sbovisjb1

sbovisjb1 ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

I email CentOS recently asking about their developmental release. What they told me was probably and evasive answer, but it made me thinking
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Dear .......

Basically, we don't have a developmental version, as we build the Source
    from the upstream provider when it is released for their stable
    products.

If you want to know what will probably be rolled into our upcoming
    versions then looking at what the upstream guys are doing in Fedora Core
    would probably be good.

When RHEL-5 beta is released, we will have a CentOS-5 beta released
    shortly thereafter based on that source code.

When we do release beta versions they will be available at:

http://beta.centos.org/

When i told my friend (hes a computer buff too) that CentOS is %100 binary compatable... all he said was "WOW, I need to have a look at this....". All im basically seeing is that CentOS "borrows" the Fedora Code and makes it %100 binary compatable... making it EXTREMLEY easy for hardware and such to run on this linux distro... i must say i am a little dissapointed.

PS

I dont know if it was OK to post that letter;)

2. calande

calande New Member

CentOS is 100% based on the RHEL source code. The only difference is the logo, the name and the fact that you download your updates from other mirrors, not from the RH servers, and you use 'yum' to install, update, etc...

Basically, CentOS 4 is RHEL 4 without paid support.

3. brainz

brainz Member

Its very funny but CentOS look awfully like Fedora core.... Then again i could be wrong....

regards
    brainz :D:cool:

4. Bailx

Bailx New Member

centos might LOOK like fedora, but it performs exactly like RHEL, and that is to say....it's a much better (and more stable) OS than fedora.

5. mfiendd

mfiendd New Member

Correct me if I'm wrong. I though Fedora is RHEL but opensource. So basically all three are the same.

6. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

More or less. Fedora is cutting-edge and might be a little bit unstable, and RedHat uses it as a base to create RHEL. RHEL is more stable and tested, but not that cutting-edge.