change client of existing mailbox

Discussion in 'Tips/Tricks/Mods' started by jabby16, Apr 16, 2023.

1. jabby16

jabby16 New Member

in the past I adminstrated all mailboxes for my users by myself (my client login) but now they should do this for their own. But since the mailboxes are created with my client account new accounts/clients do not have access to it. How can I move ownership of existing mailboxes and aliases to another client?
    I found a very old thread describing some changes to do in the db directly but because these are active accounts I want to ask for a proper, save and current howto.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Mailbox users can login to ISPConfig with their email address to manage their mailbox. Besides that, all mailboxes of a domain are owned by the client who owns that domain, so you have to alter the email domain owner as mailboxes do not have a separate owner.

3. jabby16

jabby16 New Member

Thanks, Till, this clearifies a lot. So it's true that a company microsoft.com (example) cannot give their employees individual control over their mailbox but the administrator of microsoft.com must do this as individual requests from the users?
    If true there are at least some done-by-user settings possible via the ISPConfig API that e.g. roundcube is able to attach via plugins...

4. till

As I mentioned, users can log in using their email address and password to manage their mailbox. Go to ISPConfig login, enter email address and email password in the ispconfig login, that's all. No need to assign anything to a client.

5. jabby16

jabby16 New Member

Ok, now I've got this, too. That works. But there's no way to add aliases, that was my primary intention.
    But ok, thanks a lot!

6. till

If someone may add an alias is basically something that the owner of the domain decides and not the owner of a mailbox, as it affects the domain if the alias is taken by the wrong person and not the mailbox. That's why domains are owned by a client and not mailboxes. Otherwise, e.g. a low-privileged user or employee would be able to grab an alias for the CEO or a global name like support and misuse that.