Change document root after sites created

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by gallen, Dec 19, 2006.

1. gallen

gallen New Member

Hi All,

I am using a pretty standard ISPConfig setup (Debian perfect setup, with all ISP Config defaults).

The default Document Root is /var/www, and a number of sites have allready been created and are in use.

The physical disk that /var/www is on has limited space, but I have a large amount of space on the disk where /home is.

So, can I safely and easily change ISPConfig to use /home rather than /var/www, and keep the existing sites working as it?

Thanks,
    Graeme.

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

You'd have to move the existing web sites to /home as well. You must change the directory in the isp_server table in the ISPConfig database, in Vhosts_ispconfig.conf (restart Apache) and in /etc/passwd. I hope I haven't forgotten anything.

3. gallen

gallen New Member

Thanks for that.

What happens if I just change the setting in ISP Config, will the existing sites stay where they are, but all new sites be placed into the new root. Would this cause any problems?

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

You will have to move all folders and files from the old document root to the new document root with permissions and ownerships preserved, otherwise you will break all existing sites and email accounts.