Change how ispconfig handles website creation

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Jonathan E. Emmett, Feb 28, 2017.

1. Jonathan E. Emmett

Jonathan E. Emmett New Member

Ubuntu Server 16.04 LTS
    Ispconfig 3.1
    I'm pretty new to using ispconfig 3, love the product so far, but have some issues with how the sites are created. I don't use .vhost files, never have and I'm thinking that is where the disconnect may be. I think.. So if I create a website, say netdigity.com as the first site in ispconfig 3, and then I great another site, netdigity2.com (i doesn't matter what this site name is), netdigity2.com redirects to netdigity.com. Is this a way that Im not seeing to change this behavior? Or is there a way to tell ispconfig to create the site.conf.vhost files as site.conf files? I have always just set up each site as a .conf file then used a2ensite to enable it.. . .

2. Jonathan E. Emmett

Ok I'm just going to say I tried this last night and it didn't work.. however today it seems that it's working correctly. Sorry for the unneeded post. lol
    I would however still like to know if there is a way to configure the way that ispconfig creates the sites directory.

3. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

That's what ISPConfig is doing. Each website has it's own vhost configuration file in the sites-available folder which get's enabled with a symlink in the sites-enabled directory.

Jonathan E. Emmett likes this.
  4. Jonathan E. Emmett

Yeah I"m seeing it now. Till is there anyway to change the Document Root: to be something like /var/www/domainname/public_html ?

5. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Theoretically, yes. Practically that would be a really bad idea and it wold cause you a lot of coding and you won't be able to install any ispconfig updates in future without changing the code in each release again. ISPConfig does not use the domain name in the real path to avoid that websites break when you change their domain, we use symlinks for easy shell navigation which contain the domain name instead. Example:

your customer has a website customer.tld. Then his agency starts to develop a new site under dev.customer.tld. In ISPConfig, you can now simply change the domain customer.tld to old.customer.tld and then dev.customer.tld to customer.tld to put the new site live, no paths are changing, ispconfig just updates the symlinks on the shell which are created for easier shell navigation. With your naming scheme, everything will break, the cms or shop will probably stop working when it stored the path in its db, shell user, cronjobs etc will all break as well as they can not find the site under its original path anymore.

Jonathan E. Emmett likes this.
  6. Jonathan E. Emmett

So basically just learn to change? LOL Thanks man for the information.