Change MTA from Postfix to Sendmail in ISPConfig

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by denmaus, Jul 4, 2006.

1. denmaus

denmaus New Member

Helo,

i have a working ISPConfig running, but i want to chane the MTA from Postfix to Sendmail. I found somewhere a HowTo to this, but i forgot where it was :(

I have setup Sendmail with this HowTo http://www.howtoforge.com/taxonomy/term/5.

Now I dont know how to configuire the Paths in ISPConfig Admin to get Sendmail worked. Default is Postfix :confused:

I heve to take Sendmail because i have several accounts on my old Server.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

One question first, why do you want to change from postfix to sendmail? Postfix is easier to configure and supports the mailbox and maildir formats that sendmail uses, so i think there is no need to switch to sendmail for old accounts?

3. denmaus

denmaus New Member

Thanks for your reply!

I have production server (Slackware 10) with sendmail running with about 200 mailusers.

Now i am configuiring a debian system with ISPConfig because it's great in Configuration because some Users want to change own pwds and add some aliases. Now i am doing this with Webmin.

I want to copy all the users and the mailboxes to the new system so that old users can get the mails. And if a User want to create new account he ads one with ISPConfig.
    So will have some old mailboxes that can not be configuired with ISPConfig and then the new mailboxes that the Users will create themself.

I am confused :( . I must migrate the mailboxes without touching original User/Pwds.

4. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

Postfix uses the same mailbox format as Sendmail, so you can simply copy over your old mailboxes. Also copy the appropriate entries for these users from /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow and add their domains and email addresses to /etc/postfix/local-host-names and /etc/postfix/virtusertable. Run
    Code:
    postmap /etc/postfix/virtusertable
    /etc/init.d/postfix restart
    afterwards.

5. denmaus

denmaus New Member

Works!

Now all works. thank you.

6. denmaus

denmaus New Member

:(

helo, after hours of configuration (because i am new to postfix) now i have the following problem:

i can send mail to extern from my Outlook client.
    i can not sent mail to my server, i get my mal back with error:
    can you help me. i tested several solutions in the forum but nothing worked for me.

7. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Please post your postfix main.cf file (without comments).

8. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

9. denmaus

denmaus New Member

i decide to reinstall my debian system and ispconfig on it.

thanks for reply.

Have a good Day. Bye.