Change MyDNS to Bind

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by soho, Oct 29, 2010.

1. soho

soho Member

hello all,

I installed ISPConfig 3.0.3 by following the tutorial "The Perfect Server - Debian Lenny (Debian 5.0) With MyDNS & Courier [ISPConfig 3]" and now wanted to change the MyDNS for BIND. The question is: after removing the MyDNS and install BIND, you need to reinstall or perform some additional configuration in ISPConfig?

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

If you dont have any dns zone created yet, then it is no probem to switch to bind
    by just removing mydns, then install bind and afterwards update ispconfig and select to reconfigure services during update.

3. soho

soho Member

Thank you for the reply Till.

If I delete the dns zone that I created in MyDNS, can perform the procedure without problems?

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Yes, this should work.

5. soho

soho Member

Thank you Till.

6. 007007

007007 New Member

Hi, happy new year :)

so it is possible

there is a tutorial that explain how to replace MyDNS by Bind for debian, please?

I looked everywhere on the net but I could not find anything

My site takes too long to load, and I read somewhere that the problem is the secondary DNS server of my provider OVH, which are incompatible with MyDNS

thank you

7. soho

soho Member

hi 007007.

Never seen tutorial for this, but here I made the change and no problems. I use Debian, and just followed the installation procedure as the link found in the documentation of ISPConfig 3 for Debian and the time to install myDNS I installed Bind.

To update I deleted domains zones and run update ISPConfig to set Bind DNS server.

if you have any questions post here I will try to help you.

8. 007007

007007 New Member

Hi Sergio, thank you very much for your help ;)

Can you pass me the link of perfect installation please ?

If I understand, I need to do:

apt-get purge mydns
    update-rc.d remove mydns
    apt-get install bind9

it's correct? any other configuration ? that's what I understand from reading some discussions

thank you again