change passwords

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by dayjahone, Sep 26, 2008.

1. dayjahone

dayjahone Member

So, how the root user and system user that you set up in the perfect setup...I would like to change those passwords routinely. How do I do it and does it affect my installation of ISPConfig at all?

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

You can do it by running
    Code:
    passwd [I]username[/I]
    It does not affect ISPConfig.

3. dayjahone

dayjahone Member

How do I change the root password for phpMyAdmin?

4. soho

soho Member

you should change the root password mysql:

mysqladmin -u root -pcurrent_password password new_password

5. dayjahone

dayjahone Member

I changed my root password and my main user password. Everything seemed to work fine, but now I can't log in at all...as root or user. PLEASE HELP!!! Could someone have hacked my system with the mysql password?

6. soho

soho Member

After changing the root password mysql should change the old password in file /home/admispconfig/ispconfig/lib/config.inc.php in case of change to password of DB ISPconfig.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2008
  7. dayjahone

dayjahone Member

Could that be why I can't log in? How do I change it now? I can't get into my server???? Ahhhh...Help! Please!

8. soho

soho Member

Please explain better "I can't get into my server" because if you changed the password the user and wants to access the server via ssh need only use the new password, if you want to access the ispconfig and did not change the password there is no problem.

9. dayjahone

dayjahone Member

I changed my root and user password (that you create for the perfect setup), and now I can't log on using ssh or on the machine itself. I'm worried someone hacked it. ISPConfig works fine and phpMyAdmin, but I can't log on to the machine at all.

10. soho

soho Member

You tried to use the old password?

If you can not access, then boot with a LiveCD, in rescue mode, mount the partition that contains /etc/passwd in chroot mode and change the password again.

11. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer