Change server name

Discussion in 'General' started by patopattone, Oct 22, 2018.

Tags:
  1. patopattone

patopattone New Member

Hello Howtoforge people!! I'm from argentine and my english is not the best.
    I have a single server setup with debian 8, apache2, bind, dovecot, postfix and ISPConfig 3.1.12. For some mails rejected problems (especially from yahoo) I want to change my server host name. Actually my server name is dns01.mydomain.com and I want to change it to mail.mydomain.com. I was looking through different posts on the forum and I've found some posts but not very sure of wich are all steps to do.
    Thanks in advance

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Change the name in /etc/hosts, /etc/hostname, /etc/mailname, /etc/postfix/main.cf and then reboot the server. Don't forget to change the DNS PTR Record of your IP as well.

3. patopattone

patopattone New Member

Till.... thanks for your quick response!!!
    Do I have to change something in ISPConfig interface?

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

You can change the server name under system > server settings as well, but this name is just 'descriptive' and used in the server options fields in various ispconfig forms, it has no technical use.

5. patopattone

patopattone New Member

Thanks very much Till... I'm going to make the changes tonight

6. Gaston Girardi

Gaston Girardi Member HowtoForge Supporter

I know this is an old topic, but how so y do this?, do you have a tutorial link?

Thank you so much.

7. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

An IP block has certain nameservers registered to perform reverse dns lookups for it, you need to change the dns on *those* servers, which is typically not your ISPConfig nameservers.

But the "how to" is the same whether it's an ISPConfig nameserver or not, you simply create the correct in-addr.arpa dns zone and add your PTR record. If your IP addr is 11.22.33.44, you would create the zone "33.22.11.in-addr.arpa." and add a PTR record for "44" with the name you wish it to resolve to.

8. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter