Change User Password for web<number>

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by Aleeious, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Aleeious

Aleeious New Member

Hi,
    I created a regular user who can become root using the su command. However it only works in a terminal windows and not when using WinSFTP with a SFTP session. The problem is i created a website and the files have ownership web1 with group client0. If i try to update the files I get a permission errors, and if i try to su up i get errors that i need to be in a terminal window which defeats the purpose of security. I tried to use passwd web1 to change the user password for web1 but, no matter what i change it to it doesn't matter as i keep getting access denied when i try to log in as the user. Any assistance in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Aleeious

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

I guess you try to upload files to a wrong folder. Your ssh user can upload files into the Web folder and into the private folder. He shall not be able to upload files into the root folder of a site, that's why you get a access denied error when you try to upload files there. The files of your website gave to be uploaded into the Web folder, not the root folder.

3. Aleeious

Aleeious New Member

Nope, i am actually doing what you said as shown on the picture below:
    [​IMG]
    If by my web user you mean web1, i can't seem to make it work as i never got a password for it by ispconfig 3 and i don't see an option to change it within the ispconfig 3 web interface. Additionally i tried using sysop as shown in the image above which can become root by doing su, but unfortunately it only works in a terminal window. I tried to change the password using passwd web1, but that doesn't seem to have any effect at all. Any assistance in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Aleeious

Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
  4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

You don't need a password for web1 as it is a password less account that is never used for a direct login. Just crate an ssh user in isp config and use this ssh user to login to your server with ssh or scp. The ssh users that you create in a website share the same uid then the Web user, so they are technically an alias name with own password for the Web user. It is not required to become root to upload a file to the /web or /private folder as these folders are owned by the same uid then the user that you are logged in. Don't try to assign a password to Web, this will just break your setup.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2015