change website name

Discussion in 'General' started by aqua, Apr 8, 2007.

1. aqua

aqua New Member

Hello, I wold like to change the website name in Mangement --> Server --> Settinging.

What services will be affected, if any?

Thanks
    Aqua

2. Hans

Hans Moderator Moderator

Hey,

You can change the domainmname, but it must be the same as defined within your /etc/hosts file.

You can set your hostname like this:

echo hostname.yourdomain.com > /etc/hostname
    /bin/hostname -F /etc/hostname

Verify the hostname with:

hostname -f

If the output of the hostname -f is:

server1.yourdomain.com

Your domainname within ISPConfig under Management > Server > Settings should be:

Hostame: www
    Domain: yourdomain.com

3. aqua

aqua New Member

thanks hans. I guess I should make my question a bit more specific.

A little while ago I changed the name of a one of my clients websites in ISP manager --> Sites --> www.sitename.com

All seemed to work ok (eg the new site name worked for apache), but email was being rejected.

If, under the old site i had the user name bob, then his email was [email protected]. When I changed the domain name, I looked under the user tab, and ISPconfig changed everything to the newsite.com, ie. [email protected].

Postfix was rejecting email to [email protected] though with message user not found, because apparently it still looked for [email protected].

So, if I change my domain name in managment --> server --> settings, will i still be able to receive email? I noticed that incoming email is first checked to see if the user exists(eg [email protected]), then it delivers it using the domain name i specified in server --> settings ([email protected]).

Thanks
    aqua

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

No, this setting has nothing to do with postfix.

Please make sure that you edit the co-domain from oldsite.com to newsite.com on the co-domain tab too and not just the main website domain.

5. Wolfgang

Wolfgang New Member

Why would i set host=www and not host=server1 in Management > Server > Settings?

6. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

server1 would be correct. :)