changed from redirect to new website but maintains the redirect

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by tlove, Dec 5, 2020.

1. tlove

tlove Member HowtoForge Supporter

Hello,
    I had a domain name redirected in ISPCONFIG 3 to another domain.
    I deleted the redirect and created a new website for the domain.
    However the domain name still redirects to the old redirect target rather than going to the new website.
    The DNS is at AWS Route 53 and points to the ISPCONFIG server and is set to 1 second.
    I welcome any suggestions and advice!

2. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

First rule out DNS delay etc. problems related to name service using this:
    https://www.faqforge.com/linux/cont...ess-a-namebased-website-without-a-dns-record/
    If it works with hosts file editing, check the name service info actually is correct. If it is, wait 4 -- 25 hours.
    If that does not help, explain again what you actually had before and what the new setup is. I did not understand the description. For example,
    Which domain?

3. Th0m

Th0m ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

I think you had a 301 redirect set. This is permanent redirect that is cached by your browser. You can clear the cache manually, but all your other visitors would have to do the same.

4. tlove

Hi Taleman,
    Thank you for your fast reply.
    Domain delay isn't a problem. When I set AWS Route 53 to 1 second it always makes websites acessible within a minute or so.
    Previously, I had domain loveservices.com.au with an alias domain redirect on my ISPConfig server to redirect to loveservices.org (a Nextcloud instance) while I was collecting some background material (www.loveservices.com.au is a sustainability consultancy).
    The domain loveservices.com.au was originally hosted on an AWS server.
    I created a new website on ISPConfig for loveservices.com.au and got a message that there was still a domain in place. There is no domain for it in the /var/www/ tree and nothing in either ISPCOnfig or /etc/apache2/sites-available so I presumed the message referred to the aliasdomain record.
    I removed the alias domain record and made a new website record for loveservices.com.au
    Now what appears to be happening is ISPConfig is continuing to return the redirect information rather than pointing the domain name to the new website files.

5. tlove

Hi Th0m,
    Thank you for your suggestion.
    I cleared the browser cache without any positive effect.
    I was also testing on new browsers that had never before been used to access that site.
    Thanks,
    Terry

6. Th0m

Th0m ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Do you have a SSL cert for the new site? If not, it might be that other content is shown because there is no https for that site.

7. tlove

Thanks for your support Taleman and Th0m.
    Everything good now.