Changes of SSL site name caused ISPconfig 3 not to start up

Discussion in 'General' started by bergkamp(10), Jul 17, 2017.

1. bergkamp(10)

bergkamp(10) New Member HowtoForge Supporter

I changed one of our sites domain/hostname on and ISPConfig 3 server. The update did not go through as we had the notification of pending updates in red on the top of the page. We restarted the server and since then we can not log in to the ISP config hosting panel. The site has SSL enabled but no purchased key was installed yet.

We ran the following as per one of the forum posts:
    /usr/local/ispconfig/server/server.sh
    Here is the debug info:
    WARNING - There is already a lockfile set, but no process running with this pid (6652). Continuing.
    DEBUG - Calling function 'check_phpini_changes' from plugin 'webserver_plugin' raised by action 'server_plugins_loaded'.
    DEBUG - Found 4 changes, starting update process.
    DEBUG - Calling function 'ssl' from plugin 'apache2_plugin' raised by event 'web_domain_update'.
    DEBUG - Calling function 'update' from plugin 'apache2_plugin' raised by event 'web_domain_update'.
    umount: /var/www/clients/client3/web12/log: not mounted
    DEBUG - Creating fastcgi starter script: /var/www/php-fcgi-scripts/web12/.php-fcgi-starter
    PHP Fatal error: vlibTemplate Error: Parse error!<br>To debug this file, use vlibTemplateDebug instead of vlibTemplate in the class instantiation(i.e. new vlibTemplateDebug). in /usr/local/ispconfig/server/lib/classes/tpl_error.inc.php on line 84

Any suggestion would be most welcome.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Most likely you have a custom template file for the php fcgi starter files in /usr/local/ispconfig/server/conf-custom/ and this custom template contains a syntax error.

3. bergkamp(10)

Hi Till, thanks for the prompt response. The site and ISP config 3 was working before the domain name change and I don't remember changing anything in the conf-custom directory. The only file in that directory is vhost.conf.master.

Is there a way to remove the site and start fresh so I can get into the ISPConfig front end?

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017
  4. till

The issue must be in the custom vhost.conf.master file then, I interpreted the debug output wrong, the last successful action was the php-fpm file and the next one is the vhost master file, so the issue must be there. Compare your custom vhost master file with the one that ships with ispconfig. the must be a typo in one of the <tmpl_* > commands or something like aclosing </tmpl_if> is missing.

Removing the site wont help here as the issue is that no changes can be written to disk due to the broken template file.

5. bergkamp(10)

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I found the the vhost.conf.master was changed somewhere along the line. I guess when the server rebooted it finally manifested itself. I can access the Hosting Panel now but the site however is inaccessible still.

upload_2017-7-17_21-23-10.png

6. till

edit the site, change a value and press save. When this still fails with a template system error, then there must be still an issue with your custom template.

7. bergkamp(10)

Thanks Till, I managed to sort out this issue as per your instructions.