changing client names prefixes?

Discussion in 'General' started by crypted, Oct 16, 2010.

1. crypted

crypted Member

Any way to change the prefixes used for client names for ftp, email, etc...

I've had some people complain about it today (don't know why). They don't like it being (ispreseller)(clientname) and so long or whatever.

Thoughts?

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

See System > Interface config.

But removing them is only an option for systems that dont have clients as ftp usernames have to be uniquqe for the whole server and clients wont understand it if they try to add a user "admin" and the system tells them that there is a usera dmin already while they dont see that user as it belongs to another client.

An alternative of using the username as prefix is to use the ID.

Be awrae that prefixes can only be set before the first user gets added. If you change them later, then you will break all existing FTP accounts.

3. crypted

crypted Member

Well, I have 20 ftp users, 35 email users, and 10 databases/users.

What would I need to do to change to the ID? Would it delete all of those users and then readd them? Or, would I be able to just open and resave them so that it changes?

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

You can edit them. Change the prefix in system > interface config e.g. to:

c[CLIENTID]_

so every client gets a prefix like "c23_ in front of the username. Then go to the ftp user list, click on each ftp user. You will see that the old prefix is now editable in the edit field, remove the prefix part (the part that is the client name) and click on save. ISPConfig will then save the user with the new prefix.