Changing IP does not update DNS

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by jmroth, Dec 26, 2005.

1. jmroth

jmroth ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

Hi,
    why is the A record in DNS not updated when I change the IP address of a web? :confused:
    Regards,
    ~jm

2. jmroth

jmroth ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

Oh yes, and I also tried adding an MX record using Create DNS-MX to a web that was already there before this new option was there and it does not seem to work.
    I then tried on a new web, which worked. However it adds an MX record for hostname.domain which normally is useless since the mails are @domain and not @hostname.domain
    Regards,
    ~jm

3. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

That's a feature, not a bug. :) Most admins like to have full control over their records, that's why ISPConfig does not change them. You have to do it manually in the DNS-Manager.

That's ok because you checked that "Create MX Record" on the tab where hostname.domain is handled. If you want an MX record for domain only, then you have to go to "Co-Domains" and check it the for the appropriate Co-Domain.
    ISPConfig handles each FQDN seperately, because technically they are different. And there a quite a lot people who want an MX record also for hostname.domain.