Changing to ISPConfig 3

Discussion in 'General' started by crypted, Apr 10, 2010.

1. crypted

crypted Member

Over the summer I plan to get a new server as my old system has out-dated hardware.

Currently, I'm running on a P3 2.0ghz single-core with 1GB RAM. It's OS is CentOS 5.4 x86.

I'll be getting a P4 30ghz dual-core with 2GB of RAM. I want to run an x64 OS.

What would be the best Linux OS, with x64, to use for ISPCONFIG 3?

I realize I will have to re-add all websites, users, etc... Not an issue.

And, I'm still trying to resolve my issue with ISPCONFIG 2 so don't forget about that post!!!

2. Toucan

Toucan Member

3. crypted

crypted Member

Cool. What about the update reliability of Debain? Do they supply updates and security updates for some time in the future? And, is it easy to upgrade to new versions without much problem? CentOS upgrades were as easy as "yum upgrade" and I want to ensure it is a good system to go to. Haven't been a Debain user before.

4. Hans

Hans Moderator Moderator

Debian is a free server distribution which is very stable. I use it for almost 6 years now without problems. It has also a very good package management system called apt, which is one or not the best available. A disadvantage of Debian might be that Debian does not come out with the latest software available, but i think it's more important that you have a server you can rely on. The newest software does not always mean the most stable.

If your intention is to use ISPConfig3 as your hosting controlpanel, probably Debian is the best choice, as the developers are also using Debian.

Highly recommended.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2010
  5. Toucan

Toucan Member

Indeed, slower released upgrades have been given the time to settle.

Unlike hans, I'm quite new to debian myself yet I find it very intuative. It feels similar to ubuntu in cli if you've used that before.

The updates are normally from a simple command:

apt-get update
    apt-get upgrade

ISPconfig3 gives you a warning when an update is due which I find very helpful. I watch the threads on this forum and I see far fewer problems encountered by debian users. Plus it's very well supported on the forum.

It's free so give it a try.. If it's not for you then you can always switch to your old os and nothing lost!

6. crypted

crypted Member

I assume x64 for native to Debian?

Also, I have read that there has been a huge delay in Debian 6.0, Squeeze. Would it be better to wait until this comes out late Summer 2010 rather than switching to 5.0 and hoping for a smooth upgrade? Or, have Debian upgrades always been smooth for transitional purposes?

7. Hans

Hans Moderator Moderator

Debian supports different architectures, also AMD64.
    Of course you can wait undtil Debian 6.0, but in the past i never had problems with upgrading to a new version.
    That's one of the great things of Debians stability.

8. crypted

crypted Member

Well, I'll wait a month or so and see if Debian 6.0 is on the horizon or not. It was supposed to be in freeze last month, but didn't happen... So, if it looks like it will be July, I'll go ahead and switch over.

So, ISPCONFIG 3 or ISPCONFIG 2. Ver 3.x looks very interesting. It's a lot less bulky. Seems that there's a lot more control capabilities, too. Being that it's new, anyone have major issues with it?