Chrome on Linux

Discussion in 'Desktop Operation' started by littlebird3450, Sep 7, 2013.

1. littlebird3450

littlebird3450 New Member

Hi,

Good Morning,

any one can tell me how install chromium on linux, i have windows 7 on linux. if have any one experience tell me.

Awaiting anxiously,

Regards

Kenny

2. peter_castr

peter_castr New Member

I think that it shouldn't be a problem. There are a lot of related materials on the Net. I've put your question there and got many suitable answers.

3. sjau

sjau Local Meanie Moderator

what distro do you use? And do you mean Google Chrome or Chromium?

4. Nilpo

Nilpo Member HowtoForge Supporter

You can download and install Google Chrome from here.

If you prefer Chromium, you can install 'chromium-browser' from most repositories.

As someone else has asked, which distro are you using? Neither seems to run very well for me on Linux Mint 16.

5. sbovisjb1

sbovisjb1 ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

6. Edalin Cam

Edalin Cam New Member

7. kelbiiz

kelbiiz New Member

Here's how you can use a quick terminal command to install the Chromium browser in Linux.
    1. Open a terminal window.
    2. Type in the following command then hit Enter:
    sudo apt-get install chromium-browser

8. huojianxixi

huojianxixi New Member

Gооglе Сhrоmе іsn't іn thе rероsіtоrіеs - hоwеvеr, Сhrоmіum іs.

То іnstаll Gооglе Сhrоmе, run thе fоllоwіng:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install libxss1 libappindicator1 libindicator7
    wget https://dl.google.com/linux/direct/google-chrome-stable_current_amd64.deb
    sudo dpkg -i google-chrome*.deb
    Fоr 32-bіt sуstеms usеr саn usе thіs соdе:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install libxss1 libappindicator1 libindicator7
    wget https://dl.google.com/linux/direct/google-chrome-stable_current_i386.deb
    sudo dpkg -i google-chrome*.deb
    Іf еrrоr mеssаgеs рор uр аftеr runnіng thе соmmаnd sudо dрkg -і gооglе-сhrоmе*.dеb thеn run thе соmmаnd

Code:
    sudo apt-get install -f

аnd thеn rе-run thе рrеvіоus соmmаnd. Тhе еrrоr mеssаgеs mеntіоnеd shоuld іnсludе sоmеthіng sіmіlаr tо

Code:
    google-chrome-stable depends on [lib-example]; however; Package [lib-example] is not installed.

Тhіs іnstаlls а nееdеd lіbrаrу fоr Gооglе Сhrоmе, thеn dоwnlоаds thе lаtеst vеrsіоn оf Сhrоmе tо а tеmроrаrу dіrесtоrу аnd іnstаlls іt. Run gооglе-сhrоmе tо stаrt thе brоwsеr.

Durіng thе іnstаllаtіоn а РРА іs аddеd tо уоur sуstеm sо thаt Gооglе Сhrоmе rесеіvеs thе lаtеst uрdаtеs whеnеvеr уоu сhесk fоr sуstеm uрdаtеs.

9. andrejones

andrejones New Member

Try to avoid using Chrome when it's not really necessary. It literally eats a ton of RAM. I still prefer Firefox.

concept21 likes this.
  10. Nilpo

That's not a fair statement. Chrome will make use of available RAM to improve performance. It uses a separate thread for each tab for better stability. This also allows for more effective memory usage.

Firefox will continue taking more and more RAM the longer it is open.

It may appear that Chrome uses more RAM, but it is returned to the system when required. Firefox does not do that.

Try for yourself. Open a virtual machine and run both browser. Continue reducing the amount of system memory and see which browser is affected first.

Jonathan E. Emmett likes this.
  11. andrejones

andrejones New Member

Thanks for the explanation! :)
    I will install Chrome again and check that.

12. concept21

concept21 Active Member

Unless you are forced to use Chrome, please avoid it. It is a tool to record and track your daily living in Google's 250,000 servers.
    It even installs update plugins in every browser of your computer.
    Conclusion: Chrome is Spyware. :mad:

13. Nilpo

14. sjau

sjau Local Meanie Moderator

OTOH: Google's business model is based upon data collected for ads display... contrary to almost everybody else (incl. NSA), I can't recall Google having had a huge data leak... so while Google may collect data about you, it's probably the safest place for your data to be...

15. concept21

concept21 Active Member

I am so sorry to destroy all your Faith on such an Evil company.

It obeyed China commie's order to purge the Gmail accounts of those freedom fighters and dissidents. It obeyed China commie to violate contracts so that those sites showing google adv did not receive their adv commission from google. It is because those freedom fighters and dissidents publish articles on those sites.

It happened to Yahoo, to google and it is happening to the newest commie dog Fackbook. :mad:

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
  16. concept21

concept21 Active Member

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
  17. Harsh Shah

Harsh Shah Banned

Hi..
    To install Google Chrome on your Linux, please follow below steps:

Step 1: Download Google Chrome
    • Open your terminal either by using Ctrl+Alt+T keyboard shortcut or by clicking on the terminal icon.
    • Download the latest google chrome .deb package with wget:
    • $ wget dl.google.com/linux/direct/google-chrome-stable_current_amd64.deb

Step 2: Install Google Chrome

• Installing packages requires sudo privileges. Make sure you are running the following command as a user with sudo privileges.
    • Install the Google Chrome .deb package by typing:
    • $ sudo dpkg -i google-chorme-stable_current_amd64.deb
    • You will be asked to enter your user password.

Step 3: Starting Google chrome
    • Now that Google chrome is installed on your system, you can start it either from the command line by typing Google-Chrome or by clicking Google Chrome icon (Activities -> Google chrome)
    • When You start Google Chrome For the first time, it will ask if you want to google chrome your default browser and send usage statistic and crash reports to Google. Select According to your preference and click Ok to proceed.
    • Google chrome will open and you will see Welcome page.

Step 4: Updating Google Chrome
    • During the installation process, the official google repository will be added to your system. You can use the cat command to verify the contents:
    • $ cat/etc/apt/sources.list.d/google-chrome.list
    Output:
    ### THIS FILE IS AUTOMATICALLY CONFIGURED ###
    # You may comment out this entry, but any other modifications may be lost.
    deb [arch=amd64] http:/dl.google.com/linux/chrome/deb/ stable main

• This output ensure that your Google Chrome installation will be updated automatically when a new version is released through your desktop standard Software update tool.
    Hope, This will help you.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  18. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

The above instructions work *only* on Linux distributions using .deb packages.
    Easier way is to type in Internet Search Engine
    Code:
    download google chrome
    click on the found link, it is probably the first page found that is not an advertisment. Then follow instructions there.
    If this is about chromium like the original poster 6 years ago wrote, then linux distributions probably have package chromium or chromium-browser.