Chroot SSH + ISPConfig

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Norman, May 17, 2006.

1. Norman

Norman Member HowtoForge Supporter

Does anyone have any tutorial for this? Is it possible and relatively easy to do without breaking the system for current ISPconfig users?

2. jameso

jameso New Member

I am also interested in information on how to do this.

Does anyone have any information on how to do this without affecting ISPConfig?

Thanks.

3. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

4. jameso

jameso New Member

Hi falko,

Thanks for your reply, however that howto talks about the chroot limiting users to /home/chroot.

I wish to be able to set up my server so that when each ISPconfig user logs in, they are limited to their /var/www/webx/ directory, and cannot go outside of this. Obviously the root account should be able to go anywhere.

Any hints?

Thanks.

5. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Please install the chroot as described in the howto that falko posted. The setup is the same if you want to chroot to /home/chroot or to the user directories in ISPConfig. Then enable chrooting in ISPConfig in the file /home/admispconfig/ispconfig/config.inc.php

By the way, you will find many posts that tell you the same when you search the forum for the word chroot ;)

6. jonwatson

jonwatson New Member

Hello,

I've just discovered that my shell users aren't chrooted. Yikes!

Anyhow, I followed the Howto that Falko pointed to and all seemed to go well, but I'm not getting the desired behaviour. None of my users can log in - they are all greeted with a /bin/bash file or directory does not exist error when they try to log in.

I have enabled the chroot option in config.inc.php and bash does exist in /chroot/home/bin.

I have restarted both ssh and ispconfig_server.

My users from /etc/passwd look like this:

Code:
    test.domain:x:1008:1013:test:/var/www/web13/user/test.domain/./:/bin/bash
    which looks right to me in that the '.' appears in the right place. I'm not sure why ISPConfig is putting a :/bin/bash after it, though, but I'm not chroot expert by any means so that may be correct.

The user in question has the shell access option checked under his user settings and the web in question has shell access enabled as well.

Any idea where I'm going wrong?

Thanks!

Edit: ISPConfig 2.2.11

Last edited: Mar 9, 2007
  7. jonwatson

jonwatson New Member

Hate to be a bumper, but can anyone help me troubleshoot this issue?

Thanks!

8. till

Only new users are chrooted or users that have been edited. You must also make sute that you really enabled chrooting in the config.inc.php file.

9. jonwatson

jonwatson New Member

config.inc.php:
    Code:
    $go_info["server"]["ssh_chroot"] = 1;
    As posted, a typical new or edited user looks like:

Code:
    test.domain:x:1008:1013:test:/var/www/web13/user/test.domain/./:/bin/bash
    Yet, when this users attempts to log in, he is punted with a:
    Code:
    /bin/bash: No such file or directory
    error.

Code:
    hyperion:/home/chroot/bin# pwd
    /home/chroot/bin
    hyperion:/home/chroot/bin# ls -al
    total 868
    drwxr-sr-x  2 root staff   4096 Mar  9 10:11 .
    drwxr-sr-x  8 root staff   4096 Mar  9 10:10 ..
    -rwxr-xr-x  1 root staff 625228 Mar  9 10:11 bash
    -rwxr-xr-x  1 root staff  75948 Mar  9 10:11 ls
    -rwxr-xr-x  1 root staff  20888 Mar  9 10:11 mkdir
    -rwxr-xr-x  1 root staff  55340 Mar  9 10:11 mv
    -rwsr-xr-x  1 root staff  30764 Mar  9 10:11 ping
    -rwxr-xr-x  1 root staff  13848 Mar  9 10:11 pwd
    -rwxr-xr-x  1 root staff  30712 Mar  9 10:11 rm
    Each chrooted user's home directory contains the same files as listed above. That all looks right, but the user cannot find bash when he logs in.

I am kind of confused about the use of the chrooted /etc/passwd and group files. ISPConfig doesn't update them when I create or edit new users, rather it updates the system proper /etc/passwd and group files. Is that correct behaviour?

Thanks!

10. till

The directory /home/chroot/bin is not of interest for ISPConfig, as the users where chrooted to their home directory which is not /home/chroot/.

Please post ls -la from the home directory of one of the users.

Yes. Because other users that you edir are not of interest for this chroot enviroment.

11. jonwatson

jonwatson New Member

I just discovered that :)

Code:
    user/test.jonwatson# ls -la
    total 144
    drwxr-xr-x  8 test.jonwatson web13  4096 Mar  9 10:17 .
    drwxr-xr-x  4 me.jonwatson   web13  4096 Mar  9 10:17 ..
    -rw-r--r--  1 root           root    103 Mar 11 10:22 .antivirus.rc
    -rw-r--r--  1 root           root    788 Mar 11 10:22 .autoresponder.rc
    -rw-------  1 test.jonwatson web13    24 Mar 11 10:22 .forward
    -rw-r--r--  1 root           root  67866 Mar 11 10:22 .html-trap.rc
    -rw-r--r--  1 root           root   3889 Mar 11 10:22 .local-rules.rc
    -rw-r--r--  1 root           root    204 Mar 11 10:22 .mailsize.rc
    -rw-r--r--  1 root           root    492 Mar 11 10:22 .procmailrc
    -rw-r--r--  1 root           root    656 Mar 11 10:22 .quota.rc
    -rw-r--r--  1 root           root   1151 Mar 11 10:22 .spamassassin.rc
    -rw-r--r--  1 root           root   2039 Mar 11 10:22 .user_prefs
    -rw-r--r--  1 root           root     32 Mar 11 10:22 .vacation.msg
    drwx------  5 test.jonwatson web13  4096 Mar  9 10:17 Maildir
    drwxr-xr-x  2 root           root   4096 Mar  9 10:17 bin
    drwxr-xr-x  2 root           root   4096 Mar  9 10:17 etc
    drwxr-xr-x  3 root           root   4096 Mar  9 10:17 lib
    drwxr-xr-x  4 root           root   4096 Mar  9 10:17 usr
    drwxrwxr-x  2 test.jonwatson web13  4096 Mar  9 10:17 web

I've also tried changing ownership to test.jonwatson/web13 for all the bin, etc, lib...etc...files but that didn't help.

Weird thing (to me) is that I can su to test.jonwatson from root with no problem. I just can't log on with the test.jonwatson account.

Ah, OK, thanks.

12. jonwatson

jonwatson New Member

Any ideas on this?

I've just tried the same HOWTO on a fresh ISPConfig install and I get the same results. My newly chrooted users cannot log in.

I received no errors during the HOWTO, and everything seems to be in the correct place.

How do I troubleshoot this?

Thanks!

13. jonwatson

jonwatson New Member

I seem to have it working now.

This text file helped me out. Seems I was missing some of the link libraries.

http://www.danielclemente.com/amarok/chroot.txt

I would like to know how ISPConfig knows that files to copy into each new user's chrooted home, though. I'd like to add some apps to the list. Can you tell me where that list is?

Thanks!

14. jonwatson

jonwatson New Member

And me again.

I didn't test new users before I made my last post. New users are chrooted properly in the /etc/passwd file, but no files are moved into their home directories. Therefore, they get the same no /bin/bash error.

I do have the chroot setting in the config.inc.php file set to 1.

Seriously, this seems to be a pretty hot issue but there doesn't seem to be any resolution on it. Many people have followed the tutorial, but it doesn't seem as if anyone actually has chrooted users running. I hate to say it, but if I can't get chrooted users, I'm going to have to leave ISPConfig. I can't have users running all over each other's home directories. I know this isn't an ISPConfig issue specifically, but let's face it - chrooted users is a requirement in a shared hosting environment.

Can someone (Till? Falko? Anyone?) definitely tell us how to do this or how to troubleshoot it?

Thanks!

15. till

The howto and chrooting in ISPConfig works perfectly. Why does everyone always forget that poeple with a working setup dont post here in the forum, so its naturally that you find many posts about not working setups here...
    ISPConfig is downloaded and installed about 400 - 500 times a day and we have really few problems here in the forum compared to that number of installtions!

How to do this:

1) Install a SSH daemon that supports chrooting.
    2) Enable chrooting in ISPConfig in the file /home/admispconfig/ispconfig/config.inc.php
    3) Every newly created or updated user is chrooted by ISPConfig. ISPConfig runs the script /root/ispconfig/scripts/shell/create_chroot_env.sh automatically to copy the needed binaries and dependencies to the chroot enviroment.

16. jonwatson

jonwatson New Member

That's true, I guess. No news is good news. I always try to come back to a forum and post when I have solved a problem but you're right if I didn't have a problem in the first place I wouldn't.

It seems that the part that is failing for me is the create_chroot_env.sh script. As I stated, new users are created in the passwd file with the correct chroot indicator, but the binaries are not copied over to their home directory.

When I atttempt to manually run the create_chroot_env.sh file it fails with the following errors:

Code:
    cp: cannot stat `(0xffffe000)': No such file or directory
    cp: cannot create regular file `.//lib/tls/i686/cmov/libdl.so.2': No such file or directory
    cp: cannot create regular file `.//lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6': No such file or directory
    cp: cannot create regular file `.//lib/tls/i686/cmov/librt.so.1': No such file or directory
    cp: cannot create regular file `.//lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6': No such file or directory
    cp: cannot create regular file `.//lib/tls/i686/cmov/libpthread.so.0': No such file or directory
    cp: cannot create regular file `.//lib/tls/i686/cmov/libdl.so.2': No such file or directory
    cp: cannot create regular file `.//lib/tls/i686/cmov/libresolv.so.2': No such file or directory
    cp: cannot create regular file `.//usr/lib/i686/cmov/libcrypto.so.0.9.8': No such file or directory
    cp: cannot create regular file `.//lib/tls/i686/cmov/libutil.so.1': No such file or directory
    cp: cannot create regular file `.//lib/tls/i686/cmov/libnsl.so.1': No such file or directory
    cp: cannot create regular file `.//lib/tls/i686/cmov/libcrypt.so.1': No such file or directory
    cp: cannot create regular file `.//lib/tls/i686/cmov/libresolv.so.2': No such file or directory
    cp: cannot create regular file `.//lib/tls/i686/cmov/librt.so.1': No such file or directory
    cp: cannot create regular file `.//lib/tls/i686/cmov/libpthread.so.0': No such file or directory

I have already removed the code that puts the extra '/' in before the path.

I also notice that the driectories where these files would be copied to are created in the /var/www/webX directory instead of the user's home directory. Is that right?

I see that the script contains full paths so I don't think it matters what directory I am in when I run this script...does it?

I suspect this is the last bit that I need to figure out and then it will all work.

17. falko

What's in that script? Which distribution do you use?
    Yes.

18. jonwatson

jonwatson New Member

The script contains this:

Code:
    #!/bin/bash

#
    # Usage: ./create_chroot_env username
    #

# Here specify the apps you want into the enviroment
    APPS="/bin/bash /bin/ls /bin/mkdir /bin/mv /bin/pwd /bin/rm /usr/bin/id /usr/bin/ssh /bin/ping /usr/bin/zi
    p /bin/tar /usr/bin/dircolors"

# Sanity check
    if [ "$1" = "" ] ; then
            echo "    Usage: ./create_chroot_env username"
            exit
    fi

# Obtain username and HomeDir
    CHROOT_USERNAME=$1
    HOMEDIR=`grep /etc/passwd -e "^$CHROOT_USERNAME"  | cut -d':' -f 6`
    cd $HOMEDIR

# Create Directories no one will do it for you
    mkdir etc
    mkdir bin
    mkdir usr
    mkdir usr/bin

# Create short version to /usr/bin/groups
    # On some system it requires /bin/sh, which is generally unnessesary in a chroot cage

echo "#!/bin/bash" > usr/bin/groups
    echo "id -Gn" >> usr/bin/groups

# Add some users to ./etc/paswd
    grep /etc/passwd -e "^root" -e "^$CHROOT_USERNAME" > etc/passwd
    grep /etc/group -e "^root" -e "^$CHROOT_USERNAME" > etc/group

# Copy the apps and the related libs
    for prog in $APPS;  do
            cp $prog ./$prog

# obtain a list of related libraryes
            ldd $prog > /dev/null
            if [ "$?" = 0 ] ; then
     LIBS=`ldd $prog | awk '{ print $3 }'`
                    for l in $LIBS; do
                            mkdir ./`dirname $l` > /dev/null 2>&1
                            cp $l ./$l
                    done
            fi
    done

I am running Debian 3.1 and ISPConfig 2.2.11.

Thanks!

19. falko

I hope this is in one line in your script instead of two?

20. jonwatson

jonwatson New Member

Yes, sorry - a bad paste on my part. It is one line in my script.

Question: I know that the chroot only affects new users after I have turned it on in the config.inc.php file, but can the site that the new users belong to exist before turning it on?

I ask because since the files copy to the site's top directory perhaps the site itself has to be created after chrooting is turned on.

Any truth to that?

Thanks!