Circumvent port 25 blocked by ISP?

Discussion in 'General' started by wr19026, Nov 2, 2007.

1. wr19026

wr19026 New Member

I've been reading quite a few posts on this topic and was wondering if the following would work:

- on the mail client, change the port for the SMTP server (using Thunderbird so easy to do) to a port not blocked by the ISP (KPN Netherlands in my case)
    - on the router, set up a port forward from the selected port to port 25

Anyone have any experience with this? Should it work?

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

The problem ist that other mail server will try to contact your mail server on port 25...

3. wr19026

wr19026 New Member

The plan is to leave that as is, just to add a mapping of port XYZ to 25 as well, so that my mail client (thunderbird) can connect to my smtp server when I'm outside of my own LAN. For sending mail there's no problem as I have set up the correct mail relay.

Inside their WAN sending mail via my SMTP server is not a problem as I have the correct mailrelay set up; once I'm outside their WAN I cannot use their mail server anymore it seems.

So all I am looking at doing is have an additional port map to port 25 to connect to my SMTP server.

Alternatively, does anyone know what webmail client works well with a Nokia E61i? RoundCube allows you to read mail but writing new mails or responses just seems to be impossible. WOuld I have better luck with Squirrelmail or Uebimiau?

Last edited: Nov 3, 2007
  4. akdwivedi

akdwivedi New Member

I found an easier way to access my office mail server on port 25. I have put the details here, if someone is still facing issues.

-Abhi

5. Norman

Norman Member HowtoForge Supporter

If you dont want to route your mails through your provider (using their SMTP as smtp-relay).
    Then get a VPN provider which doesnt block port 25 to get another static (real) IP on the net.