ClamAV consume a lot of memory

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Rndoom04, May 24, 2022.

1. Rndoom04

Rndoom04 New Member

Good evening everyone,
    I have small VPS server with ISPconfig3 with total 4 GB of RAM. My VPS stucks when RAM si at the edge - this do clamscan when scanning mails. When no e-mails are in a queue, I have average 1 GB/4 GB RAM used, but when I have some incoming or outgoing e-mail, RAM is on the maximum and stucks VPS for few minutes. It's very annoying.
    I read some articles on the internet and tryed few tips what to do. But nothing works how I want. Have you some idea, how to configure clamav to use less memory? My e-mail flow isn't high - its few tens mails per hour.

Thank you for your help. :)

My actual /etc/clamav/clamd.conf:
    Code:
    #Automatically Generated by clamav-daemon postinst
    #To reconfigure clamd run #dpkg-reconfigure clamav-daemon
    #Please read /usr/share/doc/clamav-daemon/README.Debian.gz for details
    LocalSocket /var/run/clamav/clamd.ctl
    FixStaleSocket true
    LocalSocketGroup clamav
    LocalSocketMode 666
    # TemporaryDirectory is not set to its default /tmp here to make overriding
    # the default with environment variables TMPDIR/TMP/TEMP possible
    User clamav
    ScanMail true
    ScanArchive true
    ArchiveBlockEncrypted false
    MaxDirectoryRecursion 15
    FollowDirectorySymlinks false
    FollowFileSymlinks false
    ReadTimeout 10 #120
    MaxThreads 3 # 20
    MaxConnectionQueueLength 15
    LogSyslog false
    LogRotate true
    LogFacility LOG_LOCAL6
    LogClean false
    LogVerbose false
    PreludeEnable no
    PreludeAnalyzerName ClamAV
    DatabaseDirectory /var/lib/clamav
    OfficialDatabaseOnly false
    SelfCheck 3600
    Foreground false
    Debug false
    ScanPE true
    MaxEmbeddedPE 10M
    ScanOLE2 true
    ScanPDF true
    ScanHTML true
    MaxHTMLNormalize 10M
    MaxHTMLNoTags 2M
    MaxScriptNormalize 5M
    MaxZipTypeRcg 1M
    ScanSWF true
    ExitOnOOM false
    LeaveTemporaryFiles false
    AlgorithmicDetection true
    ScanELF true
    IdleTimeout 30
    CrossFilesystems true
    PhishingSignatures true
    PhishingScanURLs true
    PhishingAlwaysBlockSSLMismatch false
    PhishingAlwaysBlockCloak false
    PartitionIntersection false
    DetectPUA false
    ScanPartialMessages false
    HeuristicScanPrecedence false
    StructuredDataDetection false
    CommandReadTimeout 5
    SendBufTimeout 200
    MaxQueue 100
    ExtendedDetectionInfo true
    OLE2BlockMacros false
    AllowAllMatchScan true
    ForceToDisk false
    DisableCertCheck false
    DisableCache false
    MaxScanTime 120000
    MaxScanSize 100M
    MaxFileSize 25M
    MaxRecursion 16
    MaxFiles 10000
    MaxPartitions 50
    MaxIconsPE 100
    PCREMatchLimit 10000
    PCRERecMatchLimit 5000
    PCREMaxFileSize 25M
    ScanXMLDOCS true
    ScanHWP3 true
    MaxRecHWP3 16
    StreamMaxLength 25M
    LogFile /var/log/clamav/clamav.log
    LogTime true
    LogFileUnlock false
    LogFileMaxSize 0
    Bytecode true
    BytecodeSecurity TrustSigned
    BytecodeTimeout 60000
    OnAccessMaxFileSize 5M
    ConcurrentDatabaseReload no

2. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

My understanding is clamav can not be made to use less memory. Only way it uses less memory is to use smaller database of virus signatures, but then it will not recognise all the malwares.
    I am surprised 4 GB is not enought to run clamav. Have you modified clamav settings, maybe it uses more memory than usual?
    Or do you mean the system just gets slow when clamav is running?
    You do not mention how much swap that host has. If it does not have swap, add 4 GB swap so the system can free some RAM when needed.

ahrasis likes this.
  3. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

4GB is plenty of RAM, I run several (smaller) systems with all services that have just 2GB and also use ClamAV and they run perfectly fine. How many websites do you run and have you analyzed which services use the RAM? Did you consider to add a swap partition or drive?

ahrasis likes this.
  4. Rndoom04

Rndoom04 New Member

Hello,
    thank you for your fast reply. I modified settings only like this, other lines are original:
    Code:
    ReadTimeout 10
    MaxThreads 3
    ConcurrentDatabaseReload no
    I have no swap on my VPS, because my provider doesn't support it. He can only give me swap for install Oracle database and only during installation process.

I have few tens websites, every has database. I analyzed behaviour and its:
    • When no e-mail in queue, and it's normal website activity: RAM is about 1 GB (sometimes 800 MB, sometimes 1,2 GB), no more.
    • Only when clamav starts, I can see RAM slowly increase to their maximum.
    • When on the maximum, VPScompletly stuck - can't load websites, can't use SSH, can't use provider terminal to restore server, can't do nothing. Only ping works fine without changed latency.

5. Taleman

I say this would improve with added swap. Can you not add swapfile? It should be possible on any Linux.
    If your service provider is bad, find a better provider and send your money there.

Last edited: May 26, 2022
  6. Rndoom04

Rndoom04 New Member

Thank you for your answer. I tryed to add swap space, but it's not working "swapon: /swapfile: skipping - it appears to have holes.". My VPS provider told on his website this:
    At this moment, we are not using OpenVZ, but ourself virtualization system. But it's provider works.

Have I any chance how to solve this problem myself by another way? I don't want to migrate to another provider, because I have a big music for a little money. I can double resources (RAM up to 8 GB/12GB) for double/triple money, but I want this will be a border solve. :)

Is any way how to reconfigure clamscan to use setted maximum RAM/disk space?

7. nhybgtvfr

nhybgtvfr Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

8. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell Well-Known Member Staff Member Howtoforge Staff

The point of swap has nothing to do with speed, it is because applications do not use all the memory they reserve, and using swap space allows you to overcommit the physical ram so you can safely run a lot more applications at once. If you are swapping pages for actively running processes, your performance is going to suffer (unless I suppose those are swapped to a ram-backed disk). Maybe you contact them and see if you have such a "justified case" that they mention?

9. Rndoom04

Rndoom04 New Member

Hello all, thank you for your answer.
    I tryed to install swapfile following more tutorials, like that one on the digitalocean - it was the first try. I have error on it.

Code:
    sudo swapon /swapfile

swapon: /swapfile: skipping - it appears to have holes.
    I temporarily upgraded VPS up to 8 GB RAM, and problem still exists. The case rate keeps.

"Justified case" - this rule has every VPS. Only Oracle database has exceptions and only during install.

10. till

I just reread your initial post and there you say that clamscan is used on your system, but ISPConfig normally uses clamdscan. That's different and makes a huge difference in resource usage, clamscan is only used when clamdscan fails, so your whole issue might just be a problem in your clamd configuration so that it can't start.

Ensure that clamd (the clamav daemon) is really started as this uses a lot less resources than clamscan. If clamd is started and working, then check the mail.log to see if you find any lines that show that amavis is doing a fallback to clamscan because connections to clamd failed.

And one more thing, that all RAM is used on a Linux server is normal, so I hope that you did not just look at how much RAM is free, as an efficient Linux system always uses all RAM (unless it's a huge amount of too much RAM). So please don't look at the amount of free RAM only. See also here: https://www.linuxatemyram.com/ You say your system got stuck, this might be because of CPU usage and not RAM and if you really use clamscan instead of clamd, then it is to be expected that CPU usage rises a lot as clamscan starts one clamav process per mail while clamd starts just one clamav daemon process to scan all emails.

Rndoom04 and ahrasis like this.
  11. Rndoom04

Rndoom04 New Member

Ah, you are right. Clamscan stucked my VPS few times, many times did it clamav - by logs from my OOM provider report.

I checked /etc/init.d/clamav-daemon status and see an error here (ExecStartPre=/bin/mkdir /run/clamav (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)):
    Code:
    clamav-daemon.service - Clam AntiVirus userspace daemon
       Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/clamav-daemon.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
      Drop-In: /etc/systemd/system/clamav-daemon.service.d
               └─extend.conf
       Active: active (running) since Tue 2022-05-31 08:03:10 CEST; 3s ago
         Docs: man:clamd(8)
               man:clamd.conf(5)
               https://docs.clamav.net/
      Process: 5332 ExecStartPre=/bin/chown clamav /run/clamav (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
      Process: 5331 ExecStartPre=/bin/mkdir /run/clamav (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
     Main PID: 5333 (clamd)
        Tasks: 1 (limit: 629145)
       Memory: 146.5M (limit: 256.0M)
          CPU: 906ms
       CGroup: /system.slice/clamav-daemon.service
               └─5333 /usr/sbin/clamd --foreground=true

May 31 08:03:10 email systemd[1]: Starting Clam AntiVirus userspace daemon...
    May 31 08:03:10 email mkdir[5331]: /bin/mkdir: cannot create directory ‘/run/clamav’: File exists
    May 31 08:03:10 email systemd[1]: Started Clam AntiVirus userspace daemon.

And /var/log/mail.log
    Code:
    amavis[995217]: (995217-06) (!)connect to /var/run/clamav/clamd.ctl failed, attempt #1: Can't connect to a UNIX socket /var/run/clamav/clamd.ctl: No such file or directory

My folder /run/clamav exists, but with clamav:root and nothing is here. When I remove it, its automatically recreate with this chown. I dont know how to fix it. :/

12. till

Which Linux distribution and version do you use? The message "May 31 08:03:10 email mkdir[5331]: /bin/mkdir: cannot create directory ‘/run/clamav’: File exists" might just be a warning as clamd stated it started anyway. But amavis tries to connect to a different directory /run/clamav/ vs. /var/run/clamav/, so maybe the socket path in amavis does not match with the one used by clamd.

13. Rndoom04

Rndoom04 New Member

lsb_release -a
    Code:
    No LSB modules are available.
    Distributor ID: Debian
    Description:    Debian GNU/Linux 9.13 (stretch)
    Release:        9.13
    Codename:       stretch
    "/run/clamav/" exists, empty
    "/var/run/clamav/" exists, empty

ON "/var/lib/clamav" exists
    • bytecode.cld (1438720)
    • clamd.sock (0)
    • daily.cld (180502K)
    • freshclam.dat (69)
    • mail.cld (453177k)
    • mirrors.dat (208)
    /var/log/clamav/clamav.log
    Code:
     1 Tue May 31 08:32:41 2022 -> +++ Started at Tue May 31 08:32:41 2022
     2 Tue May 31 08:32:41 2022 -> Received 0 file descriptor(s) from systemd.
     3 Tue May 31 08:32:41 2022 -> clamd daemon 0.103.4 (OS: linux-gnu, ARCH: x86_64, CPU: x86_64)
     4 Tue May 31 08:32:41 2022 -> Log file size limited to 4294967295 bytes.
     5 Tue May 31 08:32:41 2022 -> Reading databases from /var/lib/clamav
     6 Tue May 31 08:32:41 2022 -> Not loading PUA signatures.
     7 Tue May 31 08:32:41 2022 -> Bytecode: Security mode set to "TrustSigned".
     8 Tue May 31 08:32:42 2022 -> +++ Started at Tue May 31 08:32:42 2022
     9 Tue May 31 08:32:42 2022 -> Received 0 file descriptor(s) from systemd.
    10 Tue May 31 08:32:42 2022 -> clamd daemon 0.103.4 (OS: linux-gnu, ARCH: x86_64, CPU: x86_64)
    11 Tue May 31 08:32:42 2022 -> Log file size limited to 4294967295 bytes.
    12 Tue May 31 08:32:42 2022 -> Reading databases from /var/lib/clamav
    13 Tue May 31 08:32:42 2022 -> Not loading PUA signatures.
    14 Tue May 31 08:32:42 2022 -> Bytecode: Security mode set to "TrustSigned".

Last edited: May 31, 2022
  14. till

Try this:

Find the place where the amavis socket is configured, e.g. with the command:

grep -R -n /var/run/clamav/clamd.ctl /etc/amavis

Then edit that file and change the path to:

/var/lib/clamav/clamd.sock

and then restart amavis.

15. Rndoom04

Rndoom04 New Member

Thank you, but I dont understand.

grep -R -n /var/run/clamav/clamd.ctl /etc/amavis
    Code:
    /etc/amavis/conf.d/15-av_scanners:20:   \&ask_daemon, ["CONTSCAN {}\n", "/var/run/clamav/clamd.ctl"],

16. Taleman

The grep command shows the searched for string "/var/run/clamav/clamd.ctl" is found in file
    /etc/amavis/conf.d/15-av_scanners on line 20. @till asked you to edit that file and change the pathname from /var/run/clamav/clamd.ctl to /var/lib/clamav/clamd.sock.
    By the way, this problem would have been easier to solve if if you had started with this:
    https://www.howtoforge.com/community/threads/please-read-before-posting.58408/

Rndoom04 likes this.
  17. Rndoom04

Rndoom04 New Member

Thank you for your reply all. I'm happy you wants to help me.
    I edited 15-av_scanners and changed /var/run/clamav/clamd.ctl to /var/lib/clamav/clamd.sock (/var/lib/clamav/clamd.sock exists with 0 bytes - it's empty). I tryed "service amavis restart" and "/etc/init.d/clamav-daemon restart" and problem still exists:

Code:
    ● clamav-daemon.service - Clam AntiVirus userspace daemon
       Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/clamav-daemon.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
      Drop-In: /etc/systemd/system/clamav-daemon.service.d
               └─extend.conf
       Active: active (running) since Tue 2022-05-31 09:46:01 CEST; 3s ago
         Docs: man:clamd(8)
               man:clamd.conf(5)
               https://docs.clamav.net/
      Process: 38673 ExecStartPre=/bin/chown clamav /run/clamav (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
      Process: 38671 ExecStartPre=/bin/mkdir /run/clamav (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
     Main PID: 38675 (clamd)
        Tasks: 1 (limit: 629145)
       Memory: 166.3M (limit: 256.0M)
          CPU: 1.123s
       CGroup: /system.slice/clamav-daemon.service
               └─38675 /usr/sbin/clamd --foreground=true

May 31 09:46:01 email systemd[1]: clamav-daemon.service: Service hold-off time over, scheduling restart.
    May 31 09:46:01 email systemd[1]: Stopped Clam AntiVirus userspace daemon.
    May 31 09:46:01 email systemd[1]: clamav-daemon.service: Failed to reset devices.list: Operation not permitted
    May 31 09:46:01 email systemd[1]: Starting Clam AntiVirus userspace daemon...
    May 31 09:46:01 email mkdir[38671]: /bin/mkdir: cannot create directory ‘/run/clamav’: File exists
    May 31 09:46:01 email systemd[1]: Started Clam AntiVirus userspace daemon.
    E-mails still works fine.

Edit: I tryed "ispconfig_update.sh --force" and amavis-daemon reinstall but problem still exists.

18. till

it's a socket, it must be empty.

The "
    /bin/mkdir: cannot create directory ‘/run/clamav’" is just a notice and not your problem, ignore that. The question is is your system still get stalled when mail arrives.

Rndoom04 likes this.
  19. Rndoom04

Rndoom04 New Member

Aha, thank you for your answer. I'll ignore the warning "(code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)". I through everything red highlighted is bad. E-mails at this moment looks good, but with stucking VPS I'm able to get this information during my one/two days normal work.

For now, thank you very much for your patience and help.

20. till

The failure is from a program run before the start, that's not a failure of the ClamAV daemon itself. That ClamAV is running can be seen in these lines:

Active: active (running) since Tue 2022-05-31 09:46:01 CEST; 3s ago

and also in the logged message:

May 31 09:46:01 email systemd[1]: Started Clam AntiVirus userspace daemon