ClamAV OUTDATED monitor warning.

Discussion in 'General' started by Corvinus, Apr 7, 2010.

1. Corvinus

Corvinus New Member

Hi

I'm getting a warning from the monitor page that my ClamAV protection is outdated. When I look at how the clamfresh is updating my definitions, it shows it running as a daemon with this command:

"/usr/sbin/freshclam -d --quiet"

However, the freshclam manual says that if you run it as daemon, you should run it with the --check flag as well, is this why it's not updating now? Or should it be enough that "check" variable is defined in /etc/clamav/freshclam.conf?

Kind regards,
    Jonny

2. Antennipasi

Antennipasi ISPConfig Developer ISPConfig Developer

This is a common situation with ClamAV.
    Usually in logs is message "WARNING: Local version: 0.95.3 Recommended version: 0.96" or something similar, and is caused only because fast developing cycle (which is good thing, of course). Message tells about main binary version only, virus definitions are still up-to-date.

In Debian, enable Volatile-repo, http://www.debian.org/volatile/ which will deliver updated version as soon as possible.

For other Linux-distribution, maybe someone else knows cure...

3. Corvinus

Corvinus New Member

I've updated apt-get with volatile already before upgrading other packages, it did not help. It never even suggested a newer ClamAV version.

4. Antennipasi

Current 0.95.3 came from volatile last december, if i remember right.
    I am pretty sure 0.96 will appear in few weeks or so, couple weeks after mainstream, as usual.

Again, there is nothing to worry about, it is jut annoying and unnecessary warning. I try to find time to take care of it in monitor module.

5. Corvinus

Corvinus New Member

Ok thx, I see the problem now. I'll safely ignore it until the next version gets included in the apt source.

6. Appie Thrasher

Appie Thrasher Member HowtoForge Supporter

Thanks for this post I had the same worry's about that warning.
    So if I am reading it correct the
    Code:
    main.cvd is up to date
    is the virus database.

7. Antennipasi

yes, that's the one.
    in current 0.96-version there is 3 files, main.cld, daily.cld and bytecode.cld. if all of them are "up to date", everything is ok.
    (.cvd changes to .cld after freshclam has applied incremental updates.)