Clamd high cpu/ram making server useless?

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Dario D'Aversa, Jun 27, 2017.

1. Dario D'Aversa

Dario D'Aversa New Member

Hello everyone,
    Just did a fresh install of ISPConfig using the "Perfect Server" howto, Ubuntu 16.04/nginx. I followed everything to the word, ISPConfig working fine -- I can create clients, websites, email addresses, life is good.
    However I cannot send emails. I've tried sending to myself and to external addresses, no luck. There are no emails coming in as well, this is a new setup.
    Before I can even dig deeper into that, I have a bigger problem to fix (and they may be related): clamd service is chewing up my CPU (htop shows 96 CPU% and 37 MEM%) and it is making my entire server unusable. I can't even use shell to investigate.

If it can help, I'm using amazon EC2, a t2.micro instance (1GB RAM), and my security group has all the required ports open for inboud traffic.
    The funny thing is, I have another server running with ISPConfig but with clamd, and it's taking the same amount of RAM but the CPU there is very low.

I purchased the instruction manual, but there is no info there -- and I searched the forums, I notice many have similar issues, but I can't seem to find a solution.

ANY help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!

2. Dario D'Aversa

Dario D'Aversa New Member

An update some 8 hours later ... I let my server run all night and to my surprise this morning I see it behaving normally. CPU is low, RAM is good -- clamav is behaving now. The only change I did was, I noticed in my /etc/host file, my domain name was written there twice -- something seems to have added it after I wrote it in myself. That is _the only_ change I did since.

Now I'm going to try to figure out what's wrong with my emails, but I will ask this separately.