Cleanup on new install Debian-Nginx

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by drewb0y, Jul 14, 2014.

1. drewb0y

drewb0y Member

I recently did a new install at a KVM host, moving over everything from my previously existing self built server which was at a colocation. I ordered a minimal install debian server, which was supposed to be bare bones with basically enough for me to login and continue setup as desired.
    I followed the The Perfect Server - Debian Wheezy (nginx, BIND, Dovecot, ISPConfig 3) tutorial as linked in my signature.
    It's been in production now for almost 3 months with very few issues. I did notice that as part of their 'minimal' install, they had apache installed as well.
    Would it be advisable to uninstall all of the unnecessary apache packages at this point or am I going to create some other issues in the process?

Also, what is the best method of going about this? Should I uninstall individually until I get them all, should I do them in any specific order, or is there a way I can just remove them all in one command?

I was considering just using
    Code:
    apt-get --purge remove <package>
    and going down the list I guess starting with the obvious addons first.

Here are the results of running
    Code:
    dpkg-query -l 'apache*'
    Code:
    Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
    | Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
    |/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
    ||/ Name                                   Version                  Architecture             Description
    +++-======================================-========================-========================-=================================================================================
    un  apache                                 <none>                                            (no description available)
    un  apache-common                          <none>                                            (no description available)
    un  apache-utils                           <none>                                            (no description available)
    ii  apache2                                2.2.22-13+deb7u2         amd64                    Apache HTTP Server metapackage
    un  apache2-common                         <none>                                            (no description available)
    ii  apache2-doc                            2.2.22-13+deb7u2         all                      Apache HTTP Server documentation
    un  apache2-mpm                            <none>                                            (no description available)
    un  apache2-mpm-event                      <none>                                            (no description available)
    un  apache2-mpm-itk                        <none>                                            (no description available)
    ii  apache2-mpm-prefork                    2.2.22-13+deb7u2         amd64                    Apache HTTP Server - traditional non-threaded model
    un  apache2-mpm-worker                     <none>                                            (no description available)
    un  apache2-suexec                         <none>                                            (no description available)
    un  apache2-suexec-custom                  <none>                                            (no description available)
    ii  apache2-utils                          2.2.22-13+deb7u2         amd64                    utility programs for webservers
    ii  apache2.2-bin                          2.2.22-13+deb7u2         amd64                    Apache HTTP Server common binary files
    ii  apache2.2-common                       2.2.22-13+deb7u2         amd64                    Apache HTTP Server common files

Thanks in advance for any advice on this one. Just wanted to clean things up a bit and prevent any conflicts, like when I do an upgrade and it tries to restart apache, but then fails because nginx is using the sockets.

2. drewb0y

drewb0y Member

And next time

And next time I will be sure to check just how 'minimal' their install is and remove anything unnecessary before hand :)

3. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Apache is always installed, but disabled. Do not remove it as it will remove a lot of required packages as dependencies. If you would uninstall apache, tehn e.g. phpmyadmin would be removed as well. So leave it as it is and just ensure that apache starts not at boot time.

4. drewb0y

drewb0y Member

I did see this post Ispconfig 3 - Apache2 to nginx
    but it did not seem to apply to my specific situation. I do already have apache disabled, and Nginx was set up correctly with the ISPConfig3 install.

I really would not want to start over as it is working fine now and without having a secondary server, would require downtime, and a general pain.

5. drewb0y

drewb0y Member

Thanks again Till, sorry I replied before I hit refresh and noticed your response. I will keep it as is then, and I guess just ignore any messages when it tries to restart apache on upgrades.

Still having the issue with the default page coming up as a specific site rather than the servers generic page, but I have decided that is not really a major issue.

Thanks again for all you do! :D