Client access to backups and logs

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by teoverton, Apr 11, 2012.

1. teoverton

teoverton New Member

Hi Till, Falko, et al
    I have gone through the forums and my copy of the ispconfig manual and cannot find the answer to this quick question:
    It appears to me that the intention of having the backups and logs directories for each client sym-linked to their root directory is to provide access for each client to their corresponding logs and backups. However, on my installation, client ssh users cannot actually open those directories even though it appears they should be able (for client logs the directories are owned by root but 755 permissions, and for backups the directories are owned by the client and 750 permissions).
    I do have jailkit installed and running so my question is:

• Is this a fault in my installation for example with permissions? or
    • Is this by design/the way it is supposed to be...for example is jailkit/chroot blocking access higher up in the server?

Is it possible to provide client access to these files/directories if this is indeed by design or will it compromise server security?

Thanks for all the hard work on ispconfig,
    Thomas

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

You can access the logs and backups by ftp. FTP uses a virtual jail while the ssh jail can not follow the symlink without breaking the jail.

3. teoverton

teoverton New Member

Cheers Till,
    Thanks a lot. I knew it was something simple I was missing.

Thomas