Clients folders and virtualization

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by SamTzu, Nov 14, 2009.

1. SamTzu

SamTzu Active Member

In the future it would be better to have the /var/www/clients folders that were not identical but rather have server specific paths.

ie. /var/www/server51/clients/client1/web2/web/etc

This would allow us to have easy way to virtualize the webcontent on multiple servers.

2. DUCKFACE

DUCKFACE Banned

Last edited: May 12, 2011
  3. Niels

Niels New Member

I prefer this:

/var/www/[client username]/domain.tld/subdomain/web

In that way www.domain.tld and test.domain.tld would be:

/var/www/[client username]/domain.tld/www/web
    /var/www/[client username]/domain.tld/test/web

FTP for a client could point in the [client username] folder. That would also remove the /folder from website to make subdomain what I think is a stupid way to do it.

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

This would mean that you client gets in big trouble if the clientname gets changed or the domain gets changed e.g. if its a test setup that goes live as most cms systems store the paths where they are installed in their config files. For that reason we use ID's for the directorys and only the domain name for reasier shell navigation as symlinks.

Just create a new website instead of a subdomain and you get a new folder for every subdomain which is not inside the web.

5. SamTzu

SamTzu Active Member

Interesting dilemma. Is it possible to enhance the system without creating more problems? The virtual domain.tld link is good but the clientNR needs improvement to better fit virtualization needs. How about if the clientNR would be clientCREATION-TIME or maybe CLIENT-NAME+CREATION-TIME? Or something similar...

This would allow virtualisation something like is discussed by smeat in this thread...
    http://www.proxmox.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2546

6. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

As far as I can see, there is no problem with the client number as in a ispconfig cluster, the client number is unique even if you run hundreds of severs from one ispconfig controlpanel.