Clients FTP access

Discussion in 'Developers' Forum' started by andromedacocq, Jul 22, 2010.

1. andromedacocq

andromedacocq New Member

When creating an ftp user, in the "Options" tab the client can see the full path of their home

Example:
    /var/www/clients/client1/web2

It's big a security issue.
    Any fix for this?

2. kwickcut

kwickcut Member HowtoForge Supporter

what linux and how are you creating the accounts through ispconfig? comand lines?

3. andromedacocq

andromedacocq New Member

Debian Lenny
    The Perfect Server Instructions

4. kwickcut

kwickcut Member HowtoForge Supporter

ok so when you set up a ftp client in ispconfig 3 look at the ftp user there is a tab called options in there you will see Directory set this to the path you want them to be in when they log onto the ftp

something like /var/www/clients/client1/web2

now they will only see wats in the web2 folder

kwick

5. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Clients can not see the options tab, only the administrator can see it. So there is no security issue. You just mixed up the administrator login with the client login.

6. andromedacocq

andromedacocq New Member

I'm entering with a client user and password
    and I CAN see the Options tab.
    I don't see the check boxes, but i can see the full path and can edit it also.

7. till

Yes, your right. We changed this some time ago. Try to edit it and you will see that a client can not setup a wrong path which is not within its client area. The path can be changed to enable the clinet to setup FTP users for subdirectories of its site.

8. andromedacocq

andromedacocq New Member

isn't good idea to hide the "/var/www/clients/client#/" part?

9. till

We can hide it. But I dont see this as a confidential information as every user can lookup the real path e.g. with a php script (phpinfo) or in the error / access log of his website.

10. andromedacocq

andromedacocq New Member

good point.

Thanks!!!!

11. Niels

Niels New Member

Or it can be written before the textbox so the user just need to type a foldername in the textbox (or even the script kan look for folders and show these in dropdown).