Clients gaining temporary access.

Discussion in 'General' started by Buzzen, Mar 17, 2007.

1. Buzzen

Buzzen New Member

I am having trouble finding information for clients to access their sites temporarily while DNS propagates or in some cases while their domain purchase is processed.

*example*

On other software http://domain.com/~username would allow them to view their site and get it ready while things settled. This is exactly what I am looking to accomplish.

Thanks in advance.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

3. Buzzen

Buzzen New Member

Unfortunatly I dont have the time for such a process eachtime someone requires it. Perhaps later when I am more familiar with ispconfig I will attempt to modify it to include this function by default.

In the mean time I will stick with the software I am using now and will hope that you guys consider that as a standard feature in your next release.

(I cannot for the life of me, understand why it wasnt standard already)

Thanks for your time,

Jay

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Well, the hosts file has to be modified on the client machines, so there's nothing ISPConfig can do about it.

See above. ISPConfig configures name-based vhosts, that's why you need the domain to connect to a web site. The alternative would have been to configure IP-based vhosts, but then you'd need one IP address per vhost...