CloneZilla For Server HDD Imaging

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by Quaxth, Jan 27, 2014.

1. Quaxth

Quaxth Member

I was try to find out if I need min. the same HDD size as the main HDD of the Debian server is using if I like to create an 1:1 Image of the HDD? In many PC apps I could use smaller HDD's because those apps copying only the real used space plus a little "extra" for some infos etc.!

What's about CloneZilla?

In my Server I use an 1GB HDD as Main HDD and the used space is below 10GB!! So, it would be a lot of waste space If I need to use for that imaging also an 1GB HDD!

Thanks for any info

2. Quaxth

Quaxth Member

BUMP!!
    So, nobody knows an answer?

Thanks.

3. Quaxth

Quaxth Member

OK, found it out on my own.

Thanks for help.

4. falcon7700

falcon7700 New Member

CloneZilla

Clonezilla will refuse to clone a larger drive to a smaller drive. You can, if you like, tweak the scripts it uses- since it shows you the exact command it will use.

The cost difference between a small and a large drive is so small, I have not found it to be worth the effort to tweak things.

Many of the commercial cloning tools, like Paragon Disk Manager (about $40), have the ability to adapt to size-up or size-down situations.

good luck
    James

5. Quaxth

Quaxth Member

Cloning isn't imaging!! You could just easy create an Drive Image from an big drive and store the image on on lower capacity drive with no problems. Only is you like to restore that Image you'll need to have an drive with at least the same capacity of the original drive.

6. zcworld

zcworld New Member

its almost like an 1 to 1 ...

last time i used it to do an 80 GB hard drive clone the image was 80 GB ... it was OUCH .... i got used of using like ghost ( for my windows systems) and images being small ( around 8 gb for 20 gb of installed OS and software)

but hope one day they will be able to get an way to image linux drives to smal images ....

7. Quaxth

Quaxth Member

The result of the 1TB Server HDD was a 18GB Image file done with Clonezilla!

8. zcworld

zcworld New Member

arr killer they got the problem i had ages ago fix

can i ask how long it took to make that image ?

9. Quaxth

Quaxth Member

2 hour's!! not very fast at all!