CMS multisites under ISPConfig 3 multiserver setup, how?

Discussion in 'Technical' started by qiubosu, Jun 2, 2015.

1. qiubosu

qiubosu Member

Thank you very much for the latest ISPConfig 3 manual.

The ISPConfig hosting environment I setup is single servier setup (only one virtual machine, i.e. VM). Now I plan to replace it with multiserver setup (multiple VMs). I have below questions for you and thanks for your help on these.

This multiserver ISPConfig hosting environment will only host the websites I develop (maximum sites will be 10 at this stage), and they're all under one Drupal CMS multisites system (all the sites share the same Drupal codebase and have their own databases). Some of the Drupal sites will host audio and video content.

I don't plan to setup one server (VM) for each of all the services (e.g. dedicated web, email, DNS and MySQL database servers etc. services), while just use 2 or 3 VMs for all these services, so I'd like to have your advice on how to split these services (dedicated web, email, DNS and MySQL database servers etc. services) among to these 2 or 3 VMs.

Questions:

1) If use 2 VMs, which services should be setup on VM1 and the rest services on VM2? Is it a good idea to setup email, DNS services (including ISPConfig software) on VM1, and dedicated web and MySQL database services on VM2?

2) If use 3 VMs, which services should be setup on VM1, VM2 and VM3? Is it a good idea to setup email, DNS services (including ISPConfig software) on VM1, and dedicated web and MySQL database services on both VM2 and VM3 (dedicated web and MySQL database services will consume more resources, due to audio and video content, so should use 2 VMs)?

3) When this multiserver. multisites system setup sucessfully, will import it to public Cloud Computing environment, say Amazon AWS, for scalability. In this case, should use 2 VMs or 3 VMs to initially setup this system? how to split the above services to these 2 or 3 VMs?

Haven't had enough experience on the system architecture for the above setup, it is much appreciated if you can help to offer your advice.

Thank you very much.