Compile a new kernel

Discussion in 'Kernel Questions' started by mphayesuk, Feb 16, 2006.

1. mphayesuk

mphayesuk Member HowtoForge Supporter

Ok what I would like to do is have a 2.4 kernel on a suse 10 install disk.

What I have at the moment is a suse 9.3 install which uses a lower kernel than suse 10 I need this lower kernel so that my software raid will work... what can I do to compile a kernel and replace the one that is on the suse 10 install dvd.

Please bare in mind that I am not an expert when it come to this sort of stuff, some step by step instructions would be much appreciated.

Thanks

2. dtolj

dtolj New Member

3. mphayesuk

mphayesuk Member HowtoForge Supporter

Thanks I will take a look and see what I can do.

4. 22hosting

22hosting New Member

I'm by no means an expert in such matters (especially where suse is concerned), however you ought to be able to install Suse Linux 10 (with 2.6 kernel) then download a vanilla source 2.4 kernel and recompile it using the correct driver for your raid hardware for use in the suse environment.
    Any thoughts anyone?

Update : On second thoughts it probably won't work. Par example : If there have been significant changes in the kernel environment (which there was between 2.4 and 2.6) then whatever core binaries sit on suse10 will probably need the correct (and newer) kernel core that is placed in 2.6 . Of course newer binaries may still support older modules (where the kernel is concerned) and so it might work, but I would expect you to get errors.
    ________
    INEXPENSIVE VAPORIZER

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011