Compiling kernel for FC6 fills up disk space

Discussion in 'Kernel Questions' started by ginda, Jan 11, 2007.

1. ginda

ginda New Member

I have installed Fedora Core 6 and need to compile kernel to add in acpi toshiba support. I followed http://www.howtoforge.com/kernel_compilation_fedora
    and i get an error after running make rpm for about 15 minutes relating no more space available on disk. I checked the disk space and the entire process from start to the make rpm filled up 1900mb of my free disk space, how can i get around this issue? didnt think it would use that much space.

My machine details:
    Toshiba A100 Notebook
    1.83 Core Duo
    512RAM

Kernel source being used - kernel-2.6.18-1.2869.fc6.src.rpm

Thanks in advance.

2. Ben

Ben Active Member Moderator

How much space is left in general on that machine?

3. ginda

ginda New Member

about 1900mb

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

What's the output of
    Code:
    df -h
    ? Do you use LVM?

5. ginda

ginda New Member

Hi

I compiled the kernel on another fedora core 6 box i had. I have manged to compile two kernels kernel-2.6.18.1 and kernel-2.6.18.2 and have added toshiba acpi and ieee80211 support as modules i have installed these kernels on my toshiba laptop and setup them up to boot fine.

I am now getting the following problems when i try to load certain modules

[root@localhost ~]# insmod /lib/modules/2.6.18.6-custom/kernel/net/ieee80211/ieee80211.ko
    insmod: error inserting '/lib/modules/2.6.18.6-custom/kernel/net/ieee80211/ieee80211.ko': -1 Invalid module format
    [root@localhost ~]# modprobe /lib/modules/2.6.18.6-custom/kernel/net/ieee80211/ieee80211.ko
    FATAL: Module /lib/modules/2.6.18.6_custom/kernel/net/ieee80211/ieee80211.ko not found.

[root@localhost Desktop]# insmod /lib/modules/2.6.18.6-custom/kernel/drivers/acpi/toshiba_acpi.ko
    insmod: error inserting '/lib/modules/2.6.18.6-custom/kernel/drivers/acpi/toshiba_acpi.ko': -1 No such device
    [root@localhost Desktop]# modprobe /lib/modules/2.6.18.6-custom/kernel/drivers/acpi/toshiba_acpi.ko
    FATAL: Module /lib/modules/2.6.18.6_custom/kernel/drivers/acpi/toshiba_acpi.ko not found

Please help

6. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Can you try
    Code:
    modprobe ieee80211
    modprobe toshiba_acpi
    instead?