compiling php 7.4 on ubuntu 14.04

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by molahs, Jul 21, 2020.

1. molahs

molahs Member HowtoForge Supporter

This is not strictly an ispconfig issue, but I have exhausted all my google skills trying to resolve this issue.
    I have an ubuntu 14.04 with nginx and ispconfig 3.1.15
    Currently running PHP 5.5.9 and 5.6.35
    I tried to install PHP7.4 following the instructions here https://www.howtoforge.com/tutorial/how-to-compile-and-install-php-7.4-on-ubuntu-18-04/ which worked on Ubuntu 16.04.
    When I try to compile I get an error:
    Code:
    checking whether to enable input filter support... yes
    checking whether to enable FTP support... yes
    checking whether to explicitly enable FTP SSL support... no
    checking for openssl >= 1.0.1... yes
    checking for GD support... yes
    checking for external libgd... no
    checking for libwebp... no
    checking for libjpeg... yes
    checking for libXpm... no
    checking for FreeType 2... yes
    checking whether to enable JIS-mapped Japanese font support in GD... no
    checking for fabsf... yes
    checking for floorf... yes
    checking for zlib... yes
    checking for libpng... yes
    checking for libjpeg... no
    configure: error: Package requirements (libjpeg) were not met:

No package 'libjpeg' found

Consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if you
    installed software in a non-standard prefix.

Alternatively, you may set the environment variables JPEG_CFLAGS
    and JPEG_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.
    See the pkg-config man page for more details.

I found libjpeg here:
    Code:
    nixtech01@nixonhn01:/$ locate libjpeg
    /usr/lib/debug/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libjpeg.so.62.0.0
    /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libjpeg.a
    /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libjpeg.so
    /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libjpeg.so.62
    /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libjpeg.so.62.0.0
    /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libjpeg.so.8
    /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libjpeg.so.8.0.2

I did this: export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu and tried to run the ./configure but got same error.
    I did this: export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/lib/pkgconfig and tried to run the ./configure but got same error.

I have searched google high and low but can't find anything relevant (that I can see at least).
    I even tried to install 7.4 from ondrej ppa (https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/ubuntu-linux-14-04-install-php7-using-apt-get-command/) but couldn't find php7 (apt-cache search php7), only php5

Would really be grateful if someone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

2. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Is it not possible to upgrade to Ubuntu 18.04? Old Ubuntu you are running is out of support soon if not already.
    If you really must stay on 14.04, try this
    Code:
    apt-cache search libjpeg --names-only
    If that finds libjpeg-dev then install that and try PHP compile again.
    Ondrej Sury repository no longer offers packages for Ubuntu 14.04, that Ubuntu version is so old. At the time of the cyberciti article it was available and offered PHP 7. Maybe try to find if old ondrej sury repo is archived somewhere? Or give up on running Ubuntu 14.04.

3. molahs

molahs Member HowtoForge Supporter

Thanks Taleman. Is there a guide to migrate from one ispconfig install to another without doing it one site at a time?
    Is it safe or even possible to upgrade from 14.04 to 18.04? Any idea how long it will take?

4. Taleman

I do not understand.
    It is possible. Upgrading is safe if you do it properly. If you have never upgraded ubuntu to the next release, there are changes to mess it up.
    Read instructions on Ubuntu release upgrades, should be in release notes for the next release and some discussions can be found on this forum. You have to upgrade to the next release or to the next LTS release, ie 14.04 can be upgraded to 16.04, and 16.04 can be upgraded to 18.04. And 18.04 can be upgraded to 20.04, but ISPConfig does not yet support Ubuntu 20.04 except in the not yet released 3.1.16 version.
    Each upgrade step takes time, depends on how fast Internet connection is and how fast disk system is, and amount of memory on host. If you need an upper limit, I guess 3 to 4 hours should always be enought for one upgrade step.
    Read instructions first, and get familiar with upgrading Ubuntu and forcing reconfigure services in ISPConfig after the OS is upgraded.

5. Taleman

By the way, if you can get another host you could install Ubuntu 18.04 there with ISPConfig, then use ISPConfig Migration Toolkit to copy datas from old server to new. I think this would be faster than upgrading 14.04 -> 16.04 -> 18.04.
    https://www.ispconfig.org/add-ons/ispconfig-migration-tool/

ahrasis likes this.