Compiz startup on user login (CentOS) question...

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by Bailx, Jun 24, 2010.

1. Bailx

Bailx New Member

I was using the Beryl HOWTO as a guide for starting Compiz on CentOS 5.5 and just had a few questions...

First of all I installed Compiz from this page and everything works fine, I can run it fine from the start menu shortcut or by typing fusion-icon. For whatever reason compiz --replace does not work for me, but you don't get the icon that method anyways...

So I was using the Beryl scripts as a template, and used the following code:

/usr/bin/startcompiz.sh
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    fusion-icon
    sleep 4
    exec gnome-session
    /usr/share/xsessions/Compiz.desktop
    Code:
    [Desktop Entry]
    Encoding=UTF-8
    Name=Compiz
    Exec=/usr/bin/startcompiz.sh
    Icon=
    Type=Application
    All I get is a black screen and all I can do is ctrl+alt F5 and get back to a terminal...where I usually just reboot to get a fresh start....

I tried putting the fusion-icon line at the bottom with a 10 second sleep time above it, but it does nothing that way (just normal desktop)....

like this: (not sure why this couldn't work)

Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    exec gnome-session
    sleep 10
    fusion-icon
    So, I was just wondering if anyone had any different things I could try as I'm kind of lost as what to do next.... I've tried rc.local and even made rc.d scripts to no avail (runlevel 5).... although I can see why those methods would not work.... i still wanted to try it....

Thanks for any help....

(PS- I did install Beryl successfully yesterday and it started automatically with those scipts, but I'd rather use Compiz-Fusion as it's much more stable, as it should be I suppose)....this testing was done on a clean install with no remnants of Beryl..... (32-bit)

Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
  2. Bailx

Bailx New Member

Seems like there is no real fix for this, you just have to set it on a per-user basis in the sessions menu (startup apps)...

Not the most elegant solution, but whatever... it works

/TOPIC

Last edited: Jul 1, 2010