Complete automated backup task

Discussion in 'General' started by antoinel12, Nov 7, 2006.

1. antoinel12

antoinel12 New Member

Could you help me, I just installed my server with Ubuntu 6.10 with the perfect setup. I installed a second hard drive on my server. (Primary is 20 GO and second 8GO) I want to syncronise a backup each week of the ISPConfig preference, my hosted websites and my MySQL databases.

I know that cron would be useful for that but i'm new to Linux. Could you explain me how to do it with exemple, with the importants path to backup?

Thank you

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

I would recommend you to make a full backup of the first harddive with e.g rsync or rsync-backup to the second drive.

3. antoinel12

antoinel12 New Member

So could I compress the image beacause I have less space on my second hd?

4. sjau

sjau Local Meanie Moderator

If you always want a new backup you can compress the backup...
    However if you want backups over multiple weeks then compression is not an option - then you rather make use of hardlinks and "save" diskspace that way.

5. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

6. statiic

statiic New Member

I just looked into the tutorials, but I couldnt find an tutorial which explains how to make backups on an second harddrive.

They all use an second server. This will be done in the future, but for now its no option.

7. sjau

sjau Local Meanie Moderator

Well, making backups on another harddrive is a lot easier then making them on another server as you need to establish some kind of authorization...

With rSync this is quite easy:

rsync -switches FROM TO

e.g. rsync -apvz --delete /srv /media/hdb5

This will run rsync and make a copy of the /srv folder into the /media/hdb5 partition.

Of course you can in a shell script - for more security - mount that harddrive first and at the end unmount it... you could make incremental backups...

My point is that making backups on the same machine can be accomplished (with most tool) quite easily but if you want to make backups remotely that includes a bit more and hence normally you will find a howto about remote backups since that includes also local backups then.

8. statiic

statiic New Member

So what do you suggest?

I have the perfect setup installed. So I need to backup a lot. I would say backup the whole drive instead of figuring out which file I need to backup.

And the second line you wrote with the delete in it. Whats that for? Does it delete anything?

9. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

If you delete a file on the first hard disk, rsync will also delete it in your backup if you use this option.