Complete Nameserver Newbie

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Shayne, Nov 23, 2006.

1. Shayne

Shayne New Member

Hi Guys

Already a huge fan of how to forge, for a you guys to get a guy who only installed his first linux box 2 months ago to have a live box up and running.. well awesome :)

Just one thing Im unsure about I setup a Ubuntu 6.10 box with ISPconfig and everything is hundreds. I have 3 domains each setup as websites on one ip.. and I can find them all and mail work everything is fine. Only thing is... how do I set up the nameservers to pop3 and smtp etc for outlook and other programs currently I have to setup all the acounts with the ip...

for each site I want to setup a name ie: www.domain1.com to have a mail server mail.domain1.com or even better pop3.domain1.com and smtp.domain1.com

and set this up for each domain. Sorry if I dont use all the correct techno phrases.. :)
    :confused:

2. sjau

sjau Local Meanie Moderator

Hiya

welcome aboard.

I'm glad to hear you enjoy the world of choices (Linux) that much :)

Anway, to your questions:
    ISPConfig has a DNS manager built in it. This means when you setup a web you can choose a domain name, right? That should then setup correct DNS entries.

However in order to use then this domain name several steps are required:

(1) You need to register the domain with a registrar
    (2) You need to set the nameservers for the domain at your registrar

Step 1 should be no problem at all...

For Step 2 - as you have only 1 IP address (and very likely a dynamic one) have a look at this: http://www.howtoforge.com/ispconfig_dns_godaddy

3. Shayne

Shayne New Member

Thanks for the welcome... :)

I have fixed Ip's but only used one. I then asked my ISP to redirect the domains to my IP(Ubuntu Box) its works and each site redirects to the correct folder etc.

I also setup mail for each domain and this works fine to. But for all the domains I have to use www.wag-online.co.za or ip 196.211.227.155 for my pop3 and smtp names in outlook, local works fine as 127.0.0.1.

I think Im just a noob and its probably something simple, but I just want to setup so that in pop3 I can type pop3.wag-online.co.za and smtp.wag-online.co.za. then when its working setup the same for the other 2 domains.

Currently I have a test email for all 3 and they all work but I have to use www.wag-online.co.za as pop3 and smtp.

My current ISP just rediected my ip from there DNS to my box.. eventually when this is working and I have tested everything I will transfer the domain to me(or do you think this is the wrong thing to do?) :(

Thanks again :)

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

You will have to tell your ISP to create DNS A-Records for pop3.wag-online.co.za and smtp.wag-online.co.za and point them to your server IP.

5. Shayne

Shayne New Member

Ok... awesome thanks for the prompt response. Next thing is to get all the domains to be registered to my company and not hrough a ISP :)

Then I will have lots more questions I am sure, but at least I know I am in good hands hehe.

Thanks again guys!